Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2008/11/26 06:22:56 UTC

Request to Committers

All OFBiz Committers,

This is kind of a reminder, but more of a request: please do not
commit or even consider committing a contributed patch (ie through
Jira) that you do not fully understand or that changes parts of OFBiz
that you do not fully understand. If you really want to work on such a
contribution then work to fully understand the parts involved and the
changes in the patch. Alternatively, get someone else involved who has
worked in that area and be patient for further involvement. Remember
in the committer guidelines it mentions something about "first do no
harm", or in other words don't break stuff when trying to improve it
or things related to it.

Also, please be careful with other commits that seem to not be
reviewed a whole lot. One example is localization patches. These seem
to go in with little or no review, and the result is there are a LOT
of weird and confusing labels throughout OFBiz. I usually look at
OFBiz in English, and even there I've noticed a lot of cases where the
original text was replaced by something that means something different
from the original. We need to all be more careful, and while it's
great to get contributions in we shouldn't feel pressured to get them
in fast without careful review. In fact, the more contributions are
reviewed and the more feedback we give as committers the more people
contributing will learn and the higher the chances are that they will
get more closely involved with OFBiz, and join the team of committers.

Thanks,
-David

Re: Request to Committers

Posted by ri...@gmail.com.
Hello David,

I'm complete agree with you that there are a lot of confusing labels
and I have start to clear most of the wrong labels into Ecommerce but
it is a very big job.
So I decide to create a small tools that show us all the labels in
OFBiz and advice on possible issues.
I have created a new JIRA issue (OFBIZ-2070) New tool to get labels
information  for it also if it's not completed to develop it.
Hoping that it can help all of us to understand wrong labels and
correct it.

Thanks
Marco