Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> on 2011/10/29 17:14:58 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1194885 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/filters: NWGNUmakefile NWGNUproxyhtml NWGNUxml2enc

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 13:16:45 -0000
fuankg@apache.org wrote:

> Author: fuankg
> Date: Sat Oct 29 13:16:45 2011
> New Revision: 1194885

> Log:
> Added proxy_html and xml2enc to NetWare build.

Thanks!

You're obviously the platform expert, but just one point:

> +# These flags will be added to the link.opt file
> +#
> +XLFLAGS		+= \
> +			-L$(LIBXML2SDK)/lib -llibxml2.lib \
> +			$(EOLIST)

In the *X version (and windows - though I haven't attempted
Makefiles for that) I've deliberately not linked it in but
recommend LoadFile instead.  That avoids problems like that
of linking multiple versions of a library, e.g through
scripting modules like PHP.

I know that's a minority opinion, but FWIW!

--
Nick Kew

Re: svn commit: r1194885 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/filters: NWGNUmakefile NWGNUproxyhtml NWGNUxml2enc

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 10/29/2011 12:04 PM, Nick Kew wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:58:24 +0200
> Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> BTW. wouldnt it be nice to have these modules use APR|U xml APIs?
>> Without looked at your mods I guess the APR|U xml APIs are too poor?
>
> Yes.  apr-xml is a subset of the functionality of expat, which is
> in turn a very limited library.

Uhmmm... didn't you just bless apr_xml with libxml2 foo? libexpat being
one of now two possible providers?

I concur that expat is insufficient for this particular application.
But the user who builds apr_xml to libxml2 is getting two for the price
of one binding.

Re: svn commit: r1194885 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/filters: NWGNUmakefile NWGNUproxyhtml NWGNUxml2enc

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:58:24 +0200
Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org> wrote:

> BTW. wouldnt it be nice to have these modules use APR|U xml APIs?
> Without looked at your mods I guess the APR|U xml APIs are too poor?

Yes.  apr-xml is a subset of the functionality of expat, which is
in turn a very limited library.

Both the new modules use functionality that doesn't exist in expat.
In the case of mod_proxy_html that's absolutely necessary, whereas
in mod_xml2enc it's mostly just an optimisation compared to using
apr_iconv for all i18n needs.

--
Nick Kew

Re: svn commit: r1194885 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/filters: NWGNUmakefile NWGNUproxyhtml NWGNUxml2enc

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Hi Nick,
Am 29.10.2011 17:14, schrieb Nick Kew:
> You're obviously the platform expert, but just one point:
>

>> +# These flags will be added to the link.opt file
>> +#
>> +XLFLAGS		+= \
>> +			-L$(LIBXML2SDK)/lib -llibxml2.lib \
>> +			$(EOLIST)
>
> In the *X version (and windows - though I haven't attempted
> Makefiles for that) I've deliberately not linked it in but
> recommend LoadFile instead.  That avoids problems like that
> of linking multiple versions of a library, e.g through
> scripting modules like PHP.
>
> I know that's a minority opinion, but FWIW!
that gives no probs since neither NetWare nor Windows export anything
unless explicitely specified. Also these makefiles are 1st hack - I
intent to add dynamic linking as well ... ;-)

BTW. wouldnt it be nice to have these modules use APR|U xml APIs?
Without looked at your mods I guess the APR|U xml APIs are too poor?

For the Windows build files lets hope for Gregg jumping in ... :-)

Gün.