Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> on 2013/04/11 10:30:43 UTC

Ticket for Bloodhound created on trac.edgewall.org

There was a Bloodhound ticket reported to Trac yesterday [1]. I was
thinking to ask the Trac devs to CC dev@bloodhound.apache.org on Bloodhound
issues that are incorrectly reported to trac.edgewall.org. That way, we
will see the issue even if the reporter never follows up by reporting the
issue to Bloodhound. Does anyone foresee a problem with this?

[1] http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/11147

Re: Ticket for Bloodhound created on trac.edgewall.org

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 11/04/13 09:51, Joe Dreimann wrote:
> No objection to that.
>
> Two questions:
> 1) Was it the error report that got the user to think it is a Trac problem? Do we need to amend this?

Given the text "While doing a GET operation on /admin/accounts/users,
Trac issued an internal error." it looks like we have missed some places
to specify that it is an error with bloodhound.

> 2) Should we encourage people using bloodhound to raise all issues to us (incl likely Trac ones)?
>
> I would say yes to the second one because so far we've always kept tickets like that open as a reference and raised one upstream. For users that makes our site a single point of contact, and we know what it is upstream that affects them.

Yes. By definition these are issues for Bloodhound regardless of whether
it is in Trac, bloodhound or plugins that we include.

Cheers,
     Gary

nginx setup (Was: Re: Ticket for Bloodhound created on trac.edgewall.org)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi,

I've been having a quick look at getting some quick instructions
together for installing more or less from scratch using nginx as the
webserver and making use of gunicorn to run trac as a wsgi application.
The results of this so far are here:
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/wiki/BloodhoundInstallNginx

As far as I can tell, the instructions work for the last release but
there may be issues with staying authenticated on trunk. I'll look into
this further in a bit to see if there are any tickets to raise for us.
Otherwise, if anyone wants to make improvements to the instructions,
that would be great.

Has anyone tried MySQL recently with Bloodhound?

Cheers,
     Gary

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Re: Ticket for Bloodhound created on trac.edgewall.org

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 16/04/13 16:36, Ryan Ollos wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si> wrote:
>
>>> Can we pass a key or something similar along in the URL that allows users
>>> to anonymously create tickets? I'm aware that this is a potential avenue
>>> for spam bots, but I still firmly believe that spam bots are
>>> technical/management issues for us to solve, and we should not to
>>> discourage users with our prevention methods as we're doing at the
>> moment.
>> Just one note, http://trac.edgewall.org allow ticket creation anonymous
>> users.
>> We can aslo add capture for anonymous users.
>
> Right, I think you mean Captcha, and it's a component of the previously
> mentioned SpamFilterPlugin that is hosted on t.e.o. It's probably worth
> considering.
>
> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/SpamFilter

It is worth investigating both of these though I am not particularly
keen on captchas myself. Given that we have ambitions to host more asf
projects, it might be good to get opinions from infra on this. Has Gavin
got any advice for example?

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: Ticket for Bloodhound created on trac.edgewall.org

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Andrej Golcov <an...@digiverse.si>.
> Can we pass a key or something similar along in the URL that allows users
> to anonymously create tickets? I'm aware that this is a potential avenue
> for spam bots, but I still firmly believe that spam bots are
> technical/management issues for us to solve, and we should not to
> discourage users with our prevention methods as we're doing at the moment.
Just one note, http://trac.edgewall.org allow ticket creation anonymous users.
We can aslo add capture for anonymous users.

Andrej

Re: Ticket for Bloodhound created on trac.edgewall.org

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 4/16/13, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 16/04/13 22:53, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> On 4/16/13, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> On 16/04/13 17:17, Olemis Lang wrote:
[...]
>>> I think I have already mentioned that I am not a fan of capchas but that
>>> is just me and clearly I will not have to be dealing with it!
>>>
>> /me neither . If you ask me I suggest granting read only access to
>> anonymous user .
>>

> I take that to mean that you would be relatively happy with the access
> policy taken from apache's jira instance as long as it used OpenId.

Well , I actually do not know what to say since I'm not familiar with
Apache JIRA access policies . However , considering the fact that
recently commit policies have been 'relaxed' for ASF members to work
across projects then maybe it'd be useful to consider them as

[...]

Olemis.

Re: Ticket for Bloodhound created on trac.edgewall.org

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 16/04/13 22:53, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 4/16/13, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> On 16/04/13 17:17, Olemis Lang wrote:
> [...]
>>> right now it's incredibly important for us to attract user interest
>>> than dealing with «non-significant» spamming threats .
>>>
>> It is impossible to know whether the non-significance of spam threats is
>> a result of the current policy.
> It's good that you mention that . I'll clarify my statement . Even if
> our time will be wasted , it will always be possible to remove
> different kinds of spam . It will be much harder to make interested
> parties return after giving up because of the disappointing
> interaction with the site ... and we should focus on fostering user
> interest on Bloodhound . That's top priority now. Should spam become a
> serious issue then we apply further measures . That's what I meant .
> Notice that «non-significant» word is highlighted ;)

I'm afraid that my eyes strip out all markup in emails; it is lost on me.

> [...]
>> I think I have already mentioned that I am not a fan of capchas but that
>> is just me and clearly I will not have to be dealing with it!
>>
> /me neither . If you ask me I suggest granting read only access to
> anonymous user .

I take that to mean that you would be relatively happy with the access
policy taken from apache's jira instance as long as it used OpenId. If
possible I would prefer something even more open if we could balance
ease of raising issues with encouragement to be involved and limited
worry about abuse. I am not entirely sure where that balancing point is
at the moment so it is nice to see other opinions and ideas.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: Ticket for Bloodhound created on trac.edgewall.org

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 16/04/13 17:17, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On 4/16/13, Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> On 16 April 2013 16:34, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Joachim Dreimann <
>>> joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>>
> [...]
>>> Yes, I think that we should be concerned that our barrier to posting an
>>> issue or other contribution may be too high at the moment. If I came to
>>> the
>>> site and couldn't immediately register and create a ticket, I may go away
>>> and never report the issue.
>>>
>> I am very concerned by this and would probably do the same as you. In fact
>> I may not even bother to register. If registration is required I usually
>> look for a project twitter account and send them a tweet reporting the bug.
>>
> I second that . I've been concerned about this for a long while . In
> my real life connected experience
>
>    1. I do not fill sign up forms in web sites . That's what
>        OpenId is for . Bloodhound has been the exception
>        since many years ago .
>    2. Forbid users to send us bug reports is something I
>        do not understand . The way I see it users are contributing
>        back to us . That makes no sense to me . IMO authenticated
>        users should be granted with permissions to
>        interact with the i.a.o/bh web site .
>
>> If they reply to me with something like "Thanks, but we won't take action
>> unless you resubmit via our website after registration" I know they value
>> process over action and will avoid dealing with them in future.
>>
> Definitely sure . Besides *they* are deliberately wasting your time
> ... I'd rather send them a message saying «welcome to the new open web
> fellows»

Whether or not it seems silly, as far as I am concerned we pick up bug
reports however they are posted. I haven't noticed any bugs sent through
twitter but I strongly suspect that we would at least take some notice!
Sending reports to the dev or user mailing lists is fine after all.

>>> I'll look into what we might do and propose some additional suggestions
>>> as
>>> part of the work on #503.
>>>
>>> The guys who setup trac-hacks felt that registration was even too high of
>>> barrier, so it's possible to create an anonymous ticket on that site.
>>> That
>>> comes with other problems that I won't go into here, but I'll just say
>>> that
>>> spam is not a significant problem on trac-hacks.org, even though we are
>>> still running a very old version of SpamFilterPlugin. I monitor the RSS
>>> feed for both trac-hacks.org and trac.edgewall.org and see only a dozen
>>> or
>>> so instances of spam per week on each site; sometimes more, sometimes
>>> none.
>>> Cleaning up the spam on the former doesn't take up much of my time - I
>>> just
>>> spend a few minutes reviewing the RSS feed each morning and delete any
>>> spam
>>> that has come through.
>>>
>> I also review ticket changes / user registrations for spam. I haven't seen
>> any evidence of it in significant numbers. That includes spam registrations
>> that our current system doesn't prevent.
>>
>> I would grant every new registration permissions to create and comment on
>> tickets by default and try to catch out bots using some basic techniques
>> that users would never see (ie no captcha).
>>
> fwiw +
> right now it's incredibly important for us to attract user interest
> than dealing with «non-significant» spamming threats .

It is impossible to know whether the non-significance of spam threats is
a result of the current policy. However, I am not particularly happy
with the situation either.

The current situation on https://issues.apache.org/jira/ is that:

    "Anyone is free to find issues. You must register and login if you
    want to create, comment, vote, or watch issues. Only developers can
    edit, prioritize, schedule and resolve issues."

The last part of that seems completely reasonable and we should probably
be enforcing that anyway. As for registration there, it does require a
capcha and we can clearly replicate that, allowing accounts to raise and
comment on tickets. It would be even better if we could allow tickets to
be raised and commented on by anonymous users and it also appears to be
possible to do this with a capcha if we like. The advantage of
registering an account may then just be to stop having to answer capchas!

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

--
Joe Dreimann | *User Experience Designer* | WANdisco<http://www.wandisco.com/>

@jdreimann <https://twitter.com/jdreimann>

Re: Ticket for Bloodhound created on trac.edgewall.org

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
On 11 April 2013 11:27, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 3:10 AM, Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Joe Dreimann <
>> joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>
>>> No objection to that.
>>>
>>> Two questions:
>>> 1) Was it the error report that got the user to think it is a Trac
>>> problem? Do we need to amend this?
>>>

>> I suspect most users don't look very closely at the content of the error
>> report. The Internal Error page has a link for opening an issue on
>> trac.edgewall.org, which populates the ticket description with the
>> user's Trac configuration. The user only has to click two buttons to create
>> a ticket on trac.edgewall.org. I suspect that in most cases, the user
>> doesn't carefully consider where the ticket should be reported, but just
>> clicks the two buttons to create a ticket. However, we can change where
>> that ticket is created with a small change to the Trac source.

This sounds like an important thing for us to do. Great suggestion Ryan.

>>> 2) Should we encourage people using bloodhound to raise all issues to us
>>> (incl likely Trac ones)?
>>>

>> There is some relevant discussion about that in [1]. It appears to be
>> possible to change where the `Create` button direct to. I tried modifying
>> the `default_tracker` variable [2], and it appears to work as advertized.
>> In the case that the reporter has an account on
>> issues.apache.org/bloodhound and is already logged-in, the ticket would
>> be easily created in the Bloodhound issue tracker. If the user is not
>> logged-in to i.a.o/bloodhound, they land on the login page, however even
>> after logging-in they are not redirected to the /newticket page with a
>> populated form. That may just be a separate issue we need to address to
>> make the error reporting process go more smoothly.

Can we pass a key or something similar along in the URL that allows users
to anonymously create tickets? I'm aware that this is a potential avenue
for spam bots, but I still firmly believe that spam bots are
technical/management issues for us to solve, and we should not to
discourage users with our prevention methods as we're doing at the moment.

After changing the `default_tracker` variable, there may still be some
>> cases that the `Create` button causes issues to be reported to trac-hacks
>> [3].
>>

>>> I would say yes to the second one because so far we've always kept
>>> tickets like that open as a reference and raised one upstream. For users
>>> that makes our site a single point of contact, and we know what it is
>>> upstream that affects them.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Joe
>>>

>> That sounds good to me as well. The argument for single point of contact
>> seems like a good one.
>>
>> [1] http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/10898
>> [2]
>> http://trac.edgewall.org/browser/tags/trac-1.0.1/trac/web/main.py?marks=55-58#L53
>> [3]
>> http://trac.edgewall.org/browser/tags/trac-1.0.1/trac/web/main.py?marks=554#L546
>>

> A comment in t.e.o #11147 also suggests setting [project] admin_trac_url
> to point to the Bloodhound issues tracker.
> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracIni#project-section

Cheers,
Joe

Re: Ticket for Bloodhound created on trac.edgewall.org

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@wandisco.com>.
On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Joe Dreimann <joachim.dreimann@wandisco.com

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
No objection to that.

Two questions:
1) Was it the error report that got the user to think it is a Trac problem? Do we need to amend this?
2) Should we encourage people using bloodhound to raise all issues to us (incl likely Trac ones)?

I would say yes to the second one because so far we've always kept tickets like that open as a reference and raised one upstream. For users that makes our site a single point of contact, and we know what it is upstream that affects them.

Cheers,
Joe

@jdreimann - Twitter
Sent from my phone