Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/10/21 19:40:01 UTC

Re: os-windows/3258: Apache will not start after install on Win98even after reboot....

The following reply was made to PR os-windows/3258; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
To: "Raymond W. Roberts IV" <sp...@earthlink.net>
Cc: Apache bugs database <ap...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: os-windows/3258: Apache will not start after install on
 Win98even after reboot....
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:36:15 -0700 (PDT)

 On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Raymond W. Roberts IV wrote:

 > Ok here goes... It said :
 > (as it looks on screen plus what I did)
 >
 > At the command prompt I typed this:
 > "C:\cd\progra~1\apache~1\apache"  (then enter)
 >
 > And got this:
 > "C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache>apache"  (then enter)
 >
 > And it replied back with this:
 > "httpd: cannot determine local host name
 > Use the ServerName directive to set it manually
 >
 > C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache>(cursor is here)"
 >
 > I have no idea how to use this ServerName directive... or more like where
 > and what syntax to use to set it...

 Read the manual.

 It quite clearly describes what the ServerName directive is and where to
 set it can be quickly figured out by looking around, thinking "hmm,
 configuration may be in the directory named conf", looking at *.conf,
 seeing "hey, here is a commented out example of ServerName that tells me
 how to set it", and setting it.

 You can't just sit there and not think and expect things to be handed to
 you step by step.