Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Aaron Meyer <am...@meyertech.net> on 2023/03/20 19:36:29 UTC

Guacamole REST API Documentation.

First time poster here. My apologies if I missed this being covered elsewhere in my research.

I would like to automate configurations and interactions with guacamole. Both my not being a Java dev and interacting services require the use of REST API for this interaction.

While I see a various guacamole API's documented on the projects website I only see Java integrations and haven't found anything specific to REST API methods. Is there an official source documenting this?

I have found this 2 year old GitHub and it has been helpful but is also a bit out of date: https://github.com/ridvanaltun/guacamole-rest-api-documentation

I have also found this GitHub for a Powershell module that needs some work, but seems serviceable - again it's out of date an missing some of the newer release features: https://github.com/UpperM/guacamole-powershell

Any guidance would be appreciated.

In your service,
Aaron Meyer

Re: Guacamole REST API Documentation.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 5:11 PM Aaron Meyer <am...@meyertech.net> wrote:

> Thank you, Nick.
>
> Follow-up question then... if I were to spelunk through the source any hints on what to look for?

There are a couple of things that will help you out in this. First,
the bulk of the REST API source code is located here:

https://github.com/apache/guacamole-client/tree/master/guacamole/src/main/java/org/apache/guacamole/rest

It may not be immediately obvious what each of the classes present in
terms of an endpoint, but it'll help. Probably the most useful thing
for me has been to use the full Guacamole Client in a browser with the
Developer Console/Tools open, and use the Network tab to see the HTTP
and WebSocket calls made by the client. The full Guacamole Client uses
the REST API to do all of its interaction and management, so you
should be able to look through those transactions and get an idea for
how things like user, group, and connection management are done.

And, of course, feel free to post back here.

-Nick

RE: Guacamole REST API Documentation.

Posted by Aaron Meyer <am...@meyertech.net>.
Thank you, Nick.

Follow-up question then... if I were to spelunk through the source any hints on what to look for?

In your service,
Aaron Meyer

> First time poster here. My apologies if I missed this being covered elsewhere in my research.
>
> I would like to automate configurations and interactions with guacamole. Both my not being a Java dev and interacting services require the use of REST API for this interaction.
>
> While I see a various guacamole API's documented on the projects website I only see Java integrations and haven't found anything specific to REST API methods. Is there an official source documenting this?

No, there is currently no official documentation for the REST API. We have had some interest in trying to automate the documentation, but have not found a good framework for it and no progress has been made on that front, to my knowledge.

-Nick

Re: Guacamole REST API Documentation.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.