Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com> on 2003/03/13 19:10:36 UTC

logo contest

Hello!

So, we've got 28 logos [1] submitted. Now lets pick out the winner somehow.
Comments?

[1] http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/714566
--
Oleg Tkachenko
Multiconn Technologies, Israel

Re: logo contest

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Oleg,

I just voted and noticed that there're already a bunch of votes. Perhaps
  it would be good to clear all of the votes and have everyone vote--now
that all of the submissions have been made.

BTW, I see a _bunch_ of very nice logos here! It'll be a tough choice,
and I'm sure it'll be neck & neck for a few of them. Do we have to
choose only one? ;-p

Web Maestro Clay

Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

Re: logo contest

Posted by Scott Hofmann <ho...@one.net>.
Here are my comments regarding the proposed FOP logo designs.
Number correspond to logos at
http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/714566_ :

1. ready for a change
2. Is attractive but does not say much to me about FOP
3. Too symbolic of the ANT project
4. nice - Clean like the use of transparency
5. same as 4, like the blue on 5 better
6. not interested in this one
7. nice - but dislike the Font used for FOP.
8. not interested in this one- not elegant enough
9. not interested in this one - not elegant enough
10. nice - but concerned about the text behind that would get lost at
a reduced logo size. I think the use of lowercase actually works in
this logo since the spelled out version is also lower case
11. not interested in this one
12. similar to 11
13. Like this one but would like to see a different font used for the
"f" and "p". seems like the F,O, and P should be lowercase to match
the bigger letters that are lowercase.
14. not interested in this one - To much flair
15. not interested in this one
16. not interested in this one
17. nice - but i think it looks to much like 3 different elements
rather then one logo
18. like this one - but concerned again about the type in the
background getting lost at a smaller logo size. Also it looks more
like a layout rather then a logo.
19. not interested in this one
20. nice - i like the way this one shows a process of being empty
then going through the apache quill, then becoming transformed into a
filled object.
21. nice - like the way it shows the "fo". could be made a little
more compact. not sure if it would look as nice if it was converted
to one color.
22. similar comments as 21
23. not interested in this one - does not say much to me about FOP
24. not interested in this one - does not say much to me about FOP
25. not interested in this one - imagery is not clear enough on this one
26 -29. not interested in this one - looks like something you might
see at a tattoo parlor or on the side of a mailbox :)

top choices:
4, 7, 10, 13, 18, 20, 21

top 4+ would be:
7 (different font with the ink and quill placed artfully in front of the 'O'
10 (i'd like to see the background tags move down three lines and end
the tags where they do currently.
13 (with a little refinement on the font for the 'f' and 'p'
20

18 (i think i would have to throw out 18 becuase it looks more like a
layout then a logo - unless of course it were reworked)

-Scott
--

Scott Hofmann | hofmanns@one.net

Re: logo contest & SVG question

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
I like Clare Cowley's.  I'm sure it doesn't scale, and I'm sure the
colors will be a problem, and it's a bit scruffy, but it has energy and
it doesn't look as though it were generated on a computer.  But then I'm
the one who asked her to submit something.

I have the same problem with Mozilla.

--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"

Re: logo contest & SVG question (How to view SVG w Mozilla)

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
I was unable to load Adobe SVG Viewer 3.0. But Adobe SVG v2.0 is another
story! I downloaded the archived SVG Viewer 2.0 found here:

   http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/old.html

After downloading and running the installer, I copied NPSVGvw.dll,
SVGView.dll and SVGViewer.zip to my Mozilla "Plugins" directory from:

   C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\SVG Viewer\

The first time I loaded the FOP logo poll page, Mozilla hung. Then I
relaunched Mozilla, and it works! Thanks!

Web Maestro Clay

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Clay Leeds wrote:
> I am unable to find those files on my hard drive. I've downloaded Adobe
> SVG Viewer 3.0
My SVGViewer identifies itself as
  Version 2.0 (Build 55, 03/14/01)

You'd better ask on a Mozilla  related forum for further help.

J.Pietschmann

Re: logo contest & SVG question

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Clay Leeds wrote:
>
>> As a side note, does anyone know how to get SVG to display in Mozilla
>> (1.3b). I tried installing the SVG plugin, but I can't get it to work.
>

> Works with 1.2.1: copy NPSVGvw.dll, SVGView.dll and SVGViewer.zip into
> the Mozilla plugins folder and restart. There's still the license screen
> I have to get rid of.
>
> J.Pietschmann

I am unable to find those files on my hard drive. I've downloaded Adobe
SVG Viewer 3.0 and when I run it, it indicates it has completed
installation, but Mozilla is still unable to display SVG (IE works fine
after running). Unfortunately, there is no interactivity when running
SVGView.exe. After some searching, I've been able to find these files
this directory:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\SVG Viewer 3.0
NPSVG3.dll
ReadMe.html
SVG3ACE.dll
SVG3AGM.dll
SVG3BIB.dll
SVG3CT.dll
SVG Viewer License.txt
SVGAbout.svg
SVGCore.dll
SVGHelp.html
SVGRSRC.dll
SVGViewer.dict

After reading the ReadMe & SVGHelp.html files I'm still stuck. You
indicated three files which aren't listed. In addition, there is no
*.zip file (you and the ReadMe file indicate needing a zip file).

I've tried copying these files to the plugins directory, but Mozilla
crashes as soon as an SVG page is loaded (the FOP logo contest page or
the Adobe SVG Demo page). I've also tried it with just NPSVG3.dll,
SVGCore.dll and SVGViewer.dict.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
I like Andy Joslin's #21 & #22 for some of the same reasons Jeremias
likes Chuck White's (FO P). I also like Andy Joslin's because they are
SVG and the colors are relatively easy to adjust to match the document
design (this could be bad, too!). Machael Schnuerle's are fun as well.
His integration of Escher's hands writing each other (pencil *&* Apache
feather!) is great! Andre Halama's #10 is simple but elegant and shows
xsl-fo in the background, along with the Apache feather. It's hard to
pick a favorite, but I chose Tobias Muller's #7 for its simplicity.

Re: logo contest

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
FWIW I've played a bit with Chuck White's logo and here's the results:
http://cvs.apache.org/~jeremias/fop2-by-Chuck-White-modified.pdf

The logo on the web poll looks huge and bulky compared to others, but
when looked at from a distance, it looks even better.

Does that sound like I like this design very much? :-)

On 13.03.2003 19:28:17 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> My favourite is the green design by Chuck White (#9) most. Reasons:
> - It emphasizes on "FO" be playing with the color, showing that FOP is
>   not a "Fop", but a "FO" "P", an FO processor.
> - I like the pencil that is nicely integrated with the logo. Very nice
>   idea.
> - The logo scales well and has good contrast, making it possible to
>   create a good grayscale or b/w version for printing on laser printers.
> - I'm not 100% sure about the color though. Green, I don't know. Maybe
>   we should play with it and see if different coloring improves it.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: logo contest

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 13.03.2003 19:28:17 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I also like the one from Lars Vallin with the red dot in the "o" (#13).
> But somehow I've got the impression that I've seen this design already
> somewhere. But I can't hit home, yet.

Here's another little comment. Don't take it seriously, please. The logo
also reminds me of another logo. See here http://www.stopaids.ch :-)
(The original comment still applies and is not related to this. And I
don't want to make the logo bad. I like it much in fact.)

Jeremias Maerki

Re: logo contest

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
My favourite is the green design by Chuck White (#9) most. Reasons:
- It emphasizes on "FO" be playing with the color, showing that FOP is
  not a "Fop", but a "FO" "P", an FO processor.
- I like the pencil that is nicely integrated with the logo. Very nice
  idea.
- The logo scales well and has good contrast, making it possible to
  create a good grayscale or b/w version for printing on laser printers.
- I'm not 100% sure about the color though. Green, I don't know. Maybe
  we should play with it and see if different coloring improves it.

I also like the one from Lars Vallin with the red dot in the "o" (#13).
But somehow I've got the impression that I've seen this design already
somewhere. But I can't hit home, yet.

Also, the one by Pavol Vaskovic (#23,#24) is pretty good.

I wonder what your favourites are...

On 13.03.2003 19:10:36 Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> So, we've got 28 logos [1] submitted. Now lets pick out the winner somehow.
> Comments?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: logo contest

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Peter B. West wrote:

> Let's choose from the submissions, and if there is a consensus that some
> tweaking is required, we can go back to the designer with a request for
> a change.

Here is my favourite three:
#2 (I like the parrot idea, but sure it should be tweaked)
#21/22 (a little bit minimalistic, but looks good)

So I propose to all committers (who didn't make it yet) to declare their 3
favorites and then we can repeat the same with the filtered list, as you
suggested earlier.

Re: logo contest

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Fopdevs,

Let's choose from the submissions, and if there is a consensus that some
tweaking is required, we can go back to the designer with a request for
a change.

Peter

Re: logo contest

Posted by Ralph LaChance <Ra...@compuserve.com>.
Hi,

I can't recall if the first winnowing round was for 3 or 4 picks, and
I never noticed whether non-committers were even eligible to vote.

So anyway, here's my $0.02

For round I nominate:

         7, 10,  21 and/or 22
         13 (maybe w/out the dot - I also think of visine....)

Many congratulations to all the submitters.
Who would have expected so many worthy entries!

-ralph
  committed, but not a committer  ;-)

         ' Best,
         -Ralph LaChance

         In theory, there is no difference between
         theory and practice, but in practice there is.

                 (Jan L.A. van de Snepsheut (1953-1994), late of CalTech)

Re: logo contest

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
I too like the re-tooled #7 by Scott Hofman. However, I am leaning
toward a lowercase "fop" for the logo (as in #10). I like the feeling I
get from the serif of the f and the p. I also like the circular "o" in
#13 (although the red dot reminds me I need to use visine...)

My non-vote in order of preference:
#10 (with or without the background fo)
#7 (as modified by Scott Hofman)
#9 (the modified version--I don't recall who modified it)

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

Re: logo contest

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Peter B. West wrote:
> As the modified logo is so popular, we should probably include it in the
> list for voting, and let those who like it change their vote.  Let's
> make it #30.
Yeah, good idea.
--
Oleg Tkachenko
http://www.tkachenko.com/blog

Re: logo contest

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.

Re: logo contest

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Victor Mote wrote:

>>Well, I like the idea of inkstand and feather also. What about combining
>>it with another logo?
>

> Sure. What did you have in mind?
I don't know, just combine inkstand and feather with another style-appropriate
logo, which consists of letters only.

--
Oleg Tkachenko
http://www.tkachenko.com/blog

RE: logo contest

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:

> Well, I like the idea of inkstand and feather also. What about combining
> it with another logo?

Sure. What did you have in mind?

Victor Mote

Re: logo contest

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.

Re: logo contest

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

RE: logo contest

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.

RE: logo contest

Posted by Scott Hofmann <ho...@one.net>.

--

Scott Hofmann | hofmanns@one.net

Re: logo contest

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
My favourites

Re: logo contest

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Peter B. West wrote:
> This will have to wait until Joerg gets back from London.

Ok, my favorites:
#7, although I'd like it much more with a more classic typeface
   (a serif font, or even Fractur).
#10 nice and clean
#2 the foparrot :-)

J.Pietschmann

Re: logo contest

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Peter B. West wrote:
> Let's do some elimination rounds.  Everyone pick a small number of
> favourites, say 3.  Eliminate anything that doesn't get 2 votes.  Do the
> same, specifying 2 favourites.  Eliminate.  Then vote for 1 logo.  Most
> votes wins.  In the event of a tie, there's a run-off for the winner.
Good idea, Peter.

> This will have to wait until Joerg gets back from London.
Sure.

Re: logo contest

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Peter B. West wrote:
> Let's do some elimination rounds.  Everyone pick a small number of
> favourites, say 3.  Eliminate anything that doesn't get 2 votes.  Do the
> same, specifying 2 favourites.  Eliminate.  Then vote for 1 logo.  Most
> votes wins.  In the event of a tie, there's a run-off for the winner.

My favourite is #7 By Tobias Muller, actually not the logo itself but
I like the idea with the feather and the inkstand (? -
dict.tu-chemnitz.de tells me this is the translation for Tintenfass)

My second favourite #26 By Michael Schnuerle.

Christian

Re: logo contest

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
I continually have problems viewing SVG in Mozilla. I can see it OK in
M$IE but I hate using it. What would it take to create JPG versions of
the SVG submissions?

<rant>I definitely think that a requirement for the logo is an SVG
version (scalability, blah blah...), but shouldn't we have the LOGO
submissions be in JPG or GIF so that we can view them all on the same
page without resorting to the monopoly browser? Having to go to
Netscape.com and try to find an SVG plugin (which I never got to "work"
in my browser) is a bit annoying. Every time someone e-mailed a JPG or
GIF file, I looked at it and thought... cool. Every time someone
e-mailed an SVG, I thought "$#&%! I can't view the darn thing!" I
must've gone to the Netscape plugin page 5 times trying to get SVG to
work in Mozilla's browser/Messenger but to no avail. My $.02</rant>

p.s. Please forgive the rant! The coffee's still brewing... ;-)

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

Re: logo contest

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Peter B. West wrote:
>
>> This will have to wait until Joerg gets back from London.
>
> ...and until a SVG viewer is up and running :-/

Have you tried Squiggle (Batik's SVG viewer) ?
You just have to copy&paste the URLs from the HTML source.

Christian

Re: logo contest

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Re: logo contest

RE: logo contest

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.

2. #10 (Andre Halama, lower-case text, feather, xml in background). I am
afraid background xml isn't going to scale well. Maybe leave that out, or
have another version without it for small-scale stuff. As mentioned above, I
like the text very much.

3. #2 (Bernd Brandstetter, parrot looking over shoulder).

4. #13 (Lars Wallin, clockwise circle around red dot). The contents of the
"o" look too much like an eye to me. I think removing the red dot makes this
a nice candidate.

5. #21b (Andy Joslin). I like the idea of setting the "fo" in a different
color from the "p". Nice clean design.

6. #24 (Pavol Vaskovic). This doesn't fit with my "classic" preference, but
I like it a lot.

There are several others that are really quite good as well, but the above
are my favorites.

Victor Mote

Re: logo contest

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Of the others, the ones I like best by far are those of Anders
Sonnergren, especially the first, in spite of the fact that the 'p' is
rotated 90deg.  I like the font, the stylisation of the Apache feather
(which is atrocious in this context) and the overall elegance.

Re: logo contest

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Jeudi, 13 mars 2003, à 19:10 Europe/Zurich, Oleg Tkachenko a écrit :
> So, we've got 28 logos [1] submitted. Now lets pick out the winner
> somehow.
> Comments?

My favorite by far is #13 By Lars Wallin.
IMHO it is the one that looks the most professional, and it is clean
and very readable.

-Bertrand