Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Chris Lott <ch...@thethirdsector.com> on 2001/06/03 05:03:57 UTC

mod+perl on Win2K installation issues

Can anyone help in my quest to get these working together?

I've tried two ways:
Been using and liking ActiveState perl. Used ppm install to install the
latest mod_perl for Apache 1.3.20 (from . PPM ran fine, the module appeared
where it was supposed to, but in the documentation for enabling it in the
httpd.conf it refers to a "startup.pl" script which I don't have on my
system? What do I do after that point to enable it?

Then I nuked my existing installation and tried the latest all-in-one setup
from U Winnipeg which seemed to install fine and I was able to get it up and
running this time except for two problems, one serious, one not so:

1) can't get Apache to run as a service. The service install works, but it
won't start! It runs fine in a dos box.

2) ppm fails looking for the expat_win32.dll file that doesn't appear to
exist in the download...

Re: mod+perl on Win2K installation issues

Posted by Stefan Weiss <sp...@foo.at>.
From: Chris Lott <ch...@thethirdsector.com>

> Been using and liking ActiveState perl. Used ppm install to install the
> latest mod_perl for Apache 1.3.20 (from . PPM ran fine, the module appeared
> where it was supposed to, but in the documentation for enabling it in the
> httpd.conf it refers to a "startup.pl" script which I don't have on my
> system? What do I do after that point to enable it?

I can only offer a guess, but I'm sure the experts will follow-up
if I'm wrong. I don't use ActiveState and mod_perl, but it looks like
this file is the startup script that will be run when a new Apache
child is born. It is used to preload modules and set up your environment
(eg, you can modify @INC there). You should find this setting in the
httpd.conf under

   Perlrequire    /path/startup.pl

If you don't need a startup script, you can safely comment this line
out, or you can write a short script yourself where you just 'use'
the modules you're going to need. The Guide knows more about that:
http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html#Manual_Local_mod_perl_Enabled_Ap

> 2) ppm fails looking for the expat_win32.dll file that doesn't appear to
> exist in the download...

I can't help you there, I'm having problems with Expat too ;-)

cheers,
stefan

Re: mod+perl on Win2K installation issues

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Chris Lott wrote:

> Can anyone help in my quest to get these working together?
>
> I've tried two ways:
> Been using and liking ActiveState perl. Used ppm install to install the
> latest mod_perl for Apache 1.3.20 (from . PPM ran fine, the module appeared
> where it was supposed to, but in the documentation for enabling it in the
> httpd.conf it refers to a "startup.pl" script which I don't have on my
> system? What do I do after that point to enable it?

As another reply pointed out, the startup.pl script is optional,
and used, for example, to preload oft-used modules. See
http://perl.apache.org/, especially the guide, for details.

> Then I nuked my existing installation and tried the latest all-in-one setup
> from U Winnipeg which seemed to install fine and I was able to get it up and
> running this time except for two problems, one serious, one not so:
>
> 1) can't get Apache to run as a service. The service install works, but it
> won't start! It runs fine in a dos box.

What, if any, error message do you get? If you happened to use
an apache_1.3.20 binary from before, does the service work there?
Because the 0.7 binary package was compiled with the same
compile-time flags as ActivePerl, it should be possible to
use a pre-existing Apache_1.3.20 binary - just copy mod_perl.so
to the Apache modules/ directory.

> 2) ppm fails looking for the expat_win32.dll file that doesn't appear to
> exist in the download...

Sorry about that - I forgot to include it in the package.
It's available at ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/,
with perl-win32-bin-0.7.readme containing some additional
instructions for configuring ppm, to reflect your install
location.

best regards,
randy kobes