Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Peng Cheng <pc...@uow.edu.au> on 2014/06/25 06:01:16 UTC

Does PUBLIC_DNS environment parameter really works?

I'm deploying a cluster to Amazon EC2, trying to override its internal ip
addresses with public dns

I start a cluster with environment parameter: SPARK_PUBLIC_DNS=[my EC2
public DNS]

But it doesn't change anything on the web UI, it still shows internal ip
address

Spark Master at spark://ip-172-31-32-12:7077

Re: Does PUBLIC_DNS environment parameter really works?

Posted by Andrew Or <an...@databricks.com>.
Hi Peng,

What you're looking for is SPARK_MASTER_IP, which defaults to the output of
the command "hostname" (see sbin/start-master.sh).

What SPARK_PUBLIC_DNS does is it changes what the Master or the Worker
advertise to others. If this is set, the links on the Master and Worker web
UI will use public addresses instead of private ones, for example. This is
useful if you're browsing through these UIs locally from your machine
outside of the cluster.

Best,
Andrew