Posted to users@maven.apache.org by sg...@apache.org on 2005/01/12 06:57:20 UTC

Questions about Dependencies

I'm new to Maven and I have a couple of related questions about
dependencies.

1.	What is a recommended practice for setting IDE's with dependent
libraries?  In other words, Maven automatically downloads dependencies
and copies them to the build directory.  However, I don't think it's a
good practice to load libraries into the IDE from the target directory.
However, I'd like to configure my IDE to load the libraries for the
purpose of code completion.  How have others handled this?
2.	One thing that I'm slightly uncomfortable about concerning the
dependency system, is that the Maven remote repository acts as a middle
man, downloading jars from the original site and storing it for maven
use.  Some of the jars have been renamed.  I'm assuming that no other
changes have been made, but that requires a little bit of a trust
factor.  I know Maven has a way to configure a dependency to download
from the original site, but it doesn't always work because the
originators of the site don't always make the jar downloadable by
itself.  How do others feel about this?  Is there a convenient way
around it?

Thanks.

Scott

Re: Questions about Dependencies

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:57:20 -0800, sgoldstein@apache.org
<sg...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm new to Maven and I have a couple of related questions about
> dependencies.
>
> 1.      What is a recommended practice for setting IDE's with dependent
> libraries?  In other words, Maven automatically downloads dependencies
> and copies them to the build directory.  However, I don't think it's a

Maven places dependencies in the local repository by default, not the
build directory.

> good practice to load libraries into the IDE from the target directory.
> However, I'd like to configure my IDE to load the libraries for the
> purpose of code completion.  How have others handled this?

We reference the local repo from the IDE.

> 2.      One thing that I'm slightly uncomfortable about concerning the
> dependency system, is that the Maven remote repository acts as a middle
> man, downloading jars from the original site and storing it for maven
> use.  Some of the jars have been renamed.  I'm assuming that no other
> changes have been made, but that requires a little bit of a trust
> factor.  I know Maven has a way to configure a dependency to download
> from the original site, but it doesn't always work because the
> originators of the site don't always make the jar downloadable by
> itself.  How do others feel about this?  Is there a convenient way
> around it?

Set up your own repository and control the content.

In general, at my office, we trust what comes from ibiblio.

RE: Questions about Dependencies

Posted by Stefan Kleineikenscheidt <st...@kleineikenscheidt.de>.

To get more control over the dependencies you use, you can manually
download all JARs to a remote repository within your local network.
Although this is a lot of maintenance work, this gives to full control
what JARs beeing used in your Maven projects.

-Stefan