Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/06/03 16:26:19 UTC

Mailing lists

I was wondering if we have enough traffic on this list to warrant a split to
multiple lists.

I've heard folks complain about traffic, and there are times it really
flurries. I worry that 'user' requests don't get the wide audience they
deserve due to overload w/ RTs & development ideas.

I can think of three use cases (1) developing Gump [RTs and more] (2)
working with the Gump service [hey, I got nagged, what is this?] (3)
Personal Gumps.

I know there are pros and cons to having multiple lists, but I think we've
reached a point where one list if overload. Perhaps the latter two are best
served by one, for now. I don't know if it is worth renaming general@ to be
dev@, I suspect not.

As such, I think we ought add users@gump.apache.org. Thoughts?

BTW: Do we know how many addresses are subscribed to general, how many are
moderated in, and so forth? Just curious.

regards,

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> I was wondering if we have enough traffic on this list to warrant a split to
> multiple lists.

the fun thing with a users list is that you will often actually get more
questions because its less scary to post to a users list or something
like that. The bad thing is that there can exist a growing disconnect
between users and developers.

I very much like the equation user =~ developer. Especially for projects
not very much geared toward "dumb end users" but towards other developers.

+/-0 from me. If you do ask for a new list ask for a split out cvs list
at the same time as well (which was +1ed a while back but I couldn't
bring myself to put more burden on poor ol' Berin).

cheers!

- LSD

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Adam R. B. Jack <aj...@trysybase.com> wrote:

> I can think of three use cases (1) developing Gump [RTs and more]
> (2) working with the Gump service [hey, I got nagged, what is this?]
> (3) Personal Gumps.
>
> I know there are pros and cons to having multiple lists, but I think
> we've reached a point where one list if overload.

+0

Doesn't feel that way to me.

> BTW: Do we know how many addresses are subscribed to general, how
> many are moderated in, and so forth? Just curious.

Any moderator can find out by sending the appropriate mail
<http://www.ezmlm.org/ezman-0.32/ezman2.html>

I've done so just now, current state: 83 subscribers, 132 addesses
allowed to post.

Stefan

Posted by Wa...@Lawson.com.
Adam,

I think this is a great idea!

I know it would be very useful to me, if the operational, day-to-day stuff
were
in a separate list from the discussion.  As an interested party to
continuous
integration ideas and implementations, in general, I joined this group.
But
I find myself having to ignore a lot fo the operational mail about this
checkin
or some other automated nag.  I don't run/use Gump myself, but am only
interested in the technology.

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
wade