Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Craig McDonald <cr...@canberra.edu.au> on 2005/04/27 03:36:35 UTC

Portlet creation from scratch

I am just getting started in portlet development, evaluating the use of
Jetspeed-2 for the University.

I have been hacking away at creating a custom portlet for the last two
days, however I am having trouble discovering the best development
process to undertake in actually packaging and deploying my portlet for
jetspeed.

What development tools do ppl on this list use to build their portlets,
deploy as war's, generate their portlet.xml and web.xml instances etc?

I am finding that I an having to do this manually (or partially
manually, via an ANT script) from within Eclipse. The problem is, I am
not sure whether I am packaging the WAR file correctly and the web.xml
and portlet.xml are in the correct format for jetspeed.

When I finally have my war packaged, I deploy to Jetspeed by copying the
war file into the /deploy directory and then create a portlet fragment
in the default-page.psml file - however, i constantly get the following
error:

"org.apache.jetspeed.aggregator.FailedToRenderFragmentException: Unable
to render fragment because:
org.apache.jetspeed.container.window.FailedToRetrievePortletWindow:
org.apache.jetspeed.container.window.FailedToCreateWindowException:
Error generating new PortletEntity:
org.apache.jetspeed.components.portletentity.PortletEntityNotGeneratedException:
Failed to retrieve Portlet Definition for flex::FlexPortlet"

I have double checked examples of other portlets and mine (which is
extremely simple, code wise - basically just a "hello world" via Flex),
but I simply can't get it to render. The deployment log file indicates
the flex.war portlet package deploys successfully.

The lack of development "getting-started" documentation on the
portals.apache site is particularly frustrating and I'm finding it to be
an extremely steep learning curve...

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Craig