Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Fairey <me...@davidfairey.org.uk> on 2006/01/25 21:33:46 UTC

Feature Request: Empty/Nomatch Auto-props

Hi,

We've started to use Subversion on a few projects in-house. It's working
well in conjunction with TortoiseSVN - kudos to both Subversion and
TorotoiseSVN teams!

We have been using Subversion since locking was introduced in 1.2. Our
file set mostly consists of large text-only resource files (+10Mb) which
cannot be sensibly merged, we are having to enforce locking for all file
types but a specific set of file types (code files mostly).
We have been using the "auto-props" feature to ensure the "needs-lock"
and mime-types are set appropriately. But the number of file extensions
we have comes to a couple of hundred (historical reasons mostly!), which
is a headache to maintain at times.

Feature request is for an option ("empty-auto-props") that applies a
specified set of properties to a file if none of the patterns listed
under [auto-props] have matched[1] or where no properties have been set[2].

I've attached a diff (emptyautoprops-1.2.3.diff patch against 1.2.3) for
[2] above and an example "config" file, these work for our situation and
cuts the config file down to 16 lines.
This doesn't handle the case of when you don't want _any_ properties to
be set for a particular file pattern match.

* subversion/include/svn_config.h
      (SVN_CONFIG_OPTION_EMPTY_AUTO_PROPS): New define.

* subversion/libsvn_client/add.c
      (svn_client__get_auto_props): adds empty-auto-props properties to a
      file if [auto-props] sections doesn't add any

Also attached "emptyautoprops-Trunk.diff", patched against the trunk,
but hasn't been tested.

Would certainly hope something like this "catch-all" option could also
be included as part of the "Repository-defined autoprops" mentioned in
the Roadmap.

Thanks
David Fairey