Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Peter Fastré <pe...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/13 10:11:29 UTC

Problems with svn client tools

ello

I've setup a slackware server with svn - apache - trac. Some things are
working great, server can be accessed using svn on a windows system and
tortoiseSVN on another windows system.
However, when I try to use the command line utilities on the server
itself, I keep having strange problems.
For example, when I try to do this:
peter@smith:~/www/earli$ svn status
? ìG
L .
!M pdf.php
! project
!M earli.zpj

I see those strange characters.
I tried to do an svn update, but got a 'Segmentation fault'. After
that, I got this:
svn: Working copy '.' locked
svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for
details)

Which sounds reasonable. So I do a cleanup, but then I get this:
svn: Can't open directory 'project/layouts/earli/img/.svn/tmp/ðR': No
such file or directory
Another strange character!

The same repository works great from trac (running on that server),
from svn on another slackware server (with same slackware version!
10.1), and tortoisesvn on a windows client.

Maybe it has something to do with unicode support of my console or
something?

Another problem, maybe related is:
root@smith:/home/peter/www/earli# svnlook diff /data/svn/earli
Added: trunk/framework
really
can't find an answer. I really hope someone can give me a clue???

Regards
Peter

Re: Problems with svn client tools

Posted by Peter Fastré <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 6/15/06, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> But the point is I do not get a segmentation fault. I am using
> Subversion 1.3.2.

I think svnlook diff command is supposed to give us the differences between
the latest and the previous revision. However, if I pass a specific revision
to compare on the command line, I get the same segmentation fault.
It does have something to do

It would possibly help to know what version of Subversion you're
> using and how you installed it. I probably wouldn't know what to do
> if you answered those questions, other than to say "get Subversion
> 1.3.2" if you're using anything earlier, and "install it again, or in
> a different way." The behavior you're seeing is weird and I don't
> recall seeing anything like that in 18 months on this list, so I
> think something is strangely broken in your setup and perhaps
> installing Subversion in a different way (use a different binary
> package, or build it from source?) would correct the problem.

I built version 1.3.2 from source, as I do with most of my applications:
 $ ./configure --with-swig --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
--with-apr=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apr-config
 --with-apr-util=/usr/local/apr/bin/apu-config

I have tried recompiling it, removing everything, recompile and install. But
no help here.

The apr/apxs/... are needed by apache, the with-swigs are the python
bindings which are needed by the trac application. Both apache and trac are
working fine.

But there's something really wrong with my setup and I don't know what. I
would do anything to solve it, reinstalling the whole svn-thing, I don't
know. The only option which cannot be considered is reinstalling the
complete machine. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in my build process?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 14, 2006, at 11:19, Peter Fastré wrote:

> If I set the locale to en_US, I get the following:
> root@smith:~# locale
> LANG=en_US
> LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
> LC_TIME="en_US"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
> LC_PAPER="en_US"
> LC_NAME="en_US"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
> LC_ALL=en_US
> root@smith:~# svn mkdir file:///data/svn/newrepos1/trunk243 -m "test"
> svn: Can't open directory '/data/svn/newrepos1/db/transactions/
> 13-2.txn/À
> ': No such file or directory
>
> Now I understand that svn has to convert the filenames I write on
> the commandline to utf8. But problems should only occur when using
> special characters like "éà..., wouldn't you think?

Yeah, and "À" is a special character. But why is it trying to access
a directory called "À" in the transaction directory? I don't know
exactly what Subversion usually does with those directories (since
the transaction directories are around for such a short length of
time that it's virtually impossible to get a look into them), but
this sounds odd. Sounds just as odd as what you showed us before:

On Jun 13, 2006, at 12:11, Peter Fastré wrote:

> So I do a cleanup, but then I get this:
> svn: Can't open directory 'project/layouts/earli/img/.svn/tmp/ðR': No
> such file or directory

Don't know what a directory "ðR" is meant to be doing in .svn/tmp
unless you're intending to have a directory by that name in the
working copy, which it sounds like you're not.

> This thing is driving me crazy by now. I'm using a lot of things on
> linux, but never ran into something like this. I hope someone can
> help me out here.
> I still think it's very strange, because via webdav everything is
> working great...
>
> I'd like to end this long mail (thanks for reading!) with a funny
> note:
> root@smith:/data/svn/_scripts# svnlook diff /data/svn/newrepos2
> Segmentation fault

And that of course should not happen either. Um... is that the actual
command you used? Because it doesn't look to me like you've told it
what to compare to what. Though I was surprised when I ran "svnlook
diff <repopath>" on my repo that it produced a diff. I'm not sure
what revisions the diff was between. Does it show the difference
between the revision prior to HEAD, and HEAD? The documentation isn't
telling me. As far as I recall, I always told "svnlook diff" the two
revisions between which I wanted a diff.

If the repository does not exist, my "svnlook diff" produces this
message:

svnlook: Can't open file '/data/svn/newrepos2/format': No such file
or directory

If the repository exists but is empty, I get this cute message:

svnlook: Transaction '(null)' is not based on a revision; how odd

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Johan Appelgren wrote:

> Problems on the client side with working copies getting locked and so
> on will not be solved by changing to FSFS. If BDB works fine for
> someone, why recommend that they switch when they're having client
> side issues? Is there some major performance or other advantage when
> using FSFS that I've missed?

FSFS is cross-platform compatible. The authors of BDB just had their company
purchased by Oracle, so the gods alone know what will happen to the
technology, but I strongly suspect that development will suffer if not be
dropped altogether. FSFS seems less likely to become corrupted and
impossible to salvage from the wreckage.

But those are server side issues.

Re: Problems with svn client tools

Posted by Johan Appelgren <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 6/14/06, Peter Fastré <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> LC_PAPER="C"
> LC_NAME="C"
> LC_ADDRESS="C"
> LC_TELEPHONE="C"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
> LC_ALL=C
> root@smith:~# svn mkdir file:///data/svn/newrepos1/trunk7
> -m "test"
> svn: Can't convert string from native encoding to 'UTF-8':
> svn: ?\192?\133
>
> If I set the locale to en_US, I get the following:
> root@smith:~# locale
> LANG=en_US
> LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
> LC_TIME="en_US"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
> LC_PAPER="en_US"
> LC_NAME="en_US"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
> LC_ALL=en_US
> root@smith:~# svn mkdir file:///data/svn/newrepos1/trunk243
> -m "test"
> svn: Can't open directory
> '/data/svn/newrepos1/db/transactions/13-2.txn/À
>
> ': No such file or directory
>
> Now I understand that svn has to convert the filenames I write on the
> commandline to utf8. But problems should only occur when using special
> characters like "éà..., wouldn't you think?
>
> This thing is driving me crazy by now. I'm using a lot of things on linux,
> but never ran into something like this. I hope someone can help me out here.
> I still think it's very strange, because via webdav everything is working
> great...
>
> I'd like to end this long mail (thanks for reading!) with a funny note:
> root@smith:/data/svn/_scripts# svnlook diff /data/svn/newrepos2
> Segmentation fault
>

> On 6/13/06, Kevin Grover <ko...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > Sounds like you may have you're locale set to a non-English locale AND
> your terminal program can't handle it.  Get a better terminal program, or
> set the locale to an English one (to get all messages in English).
> >
> > Also, if you're running into cleanup/lock problems, you are probable using
> a BDB backend.  You should really consider converting to the FSFS backend.
> FSFS is the default in all recent versions of Subversion.
> >
> > It's easy to convert
> >
> > # WIth OLD svn client:
> > svnadmin dump path-to-repo >repo.dump
> >
> > # With NEW svn client:
> > cd /path/to/new
> > mkdir repo
> > svnadmin create repo
> > svnadmin load repo <path/to/repo.dump

Problems on the client side with working copies getting locked and so
on will not be solved by changing to FSFS. If BDB works fine for
someone, why recommend that they switch when they're having client
side issues? Is there some major performance or other advantage when

/Johan

Re: Problems with svn client tools

Posted by Peter Fastré <pe...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply.