Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2011/03/03 02:05:11 UTC

Time to turn off dependency change tracking in trunk?

I'm getting annoyed with the changes to dependency.xml during the build and I don't think we are paying much attention to them -- I know I'm not -- and I expect we'll soon be building karaf features instead of plugins anyway so I'd like to stop generating and comparing these files.

Any objections?

thanks
david jencks

Re: Time to turn off dependency change tracking in trunk?

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.
yes, please turn it off by default.

Forrest

Posted by Shawn Jiang <ge...@gmail.com>.

--
Shawn

Re: Time to turn off dependency change tracking in trunk?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.

--
Ivan

Re: Time to turn off dependency change tracking in trunk?

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
#2 sounds reasonable so +1 to that.

Jarek

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
Are karaf features built from the maven dependencies? If so, won't
that require the same tracking as we are doing now?

I always found the dependencies.xml useful but I guess maybe I was the
only one that paid attention to it. It prevented the server from
having too much unnecessary stuff and probably improved build time a
bit (since less stuff was getting pulled in when building a plugin).

Putting the dependencies.xml into the target directory doesn't really
help. There won't be anything to compare the dependency information
against next time you do mvn clean. So all the usefulness of
dependency tracking is gone and at that point might as well just
disable the whole thing.

So I guess I would vote -0 on this proposal. But I'll be ok with
whatever the community decides.

Jarek