Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2017/07/03 22:55:55 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Airflow 1.8.2 (incubating)

Hello Incubator PMC’ers,

The Apache Airflow community has voted and approved the proposal to release
Apache Airflow 1.8.2 (incubating) based on 1.8.2 Release Candidate 2. We
now kindly request the Incubator PMC members to review and vote on this
incubator release. If the vote is successful we will rename release
candidate 2 to final.

Airflow is a platform to programmatically author, schedule and monitor
workflows. Use airflow to author workflows as directed acyclic graphs
(DAGs) of tasks. The airflow scheduler executes your tasks on an array of
workers while following the specified dependencies. Rich command line
utilities make performing complex surgeries on DAGs a snap. The rich user
interface makes it easy to visualize pipelines running in production,
monitor progress, and troubleshoot issues when needed. When workflows are
defined as code, they become more maintainable, versionable, testable, and
collaborative.

The Apache Airflow-1.8.2-incubating release candidate is now available with
the following artifacts for a project vote:

* [VOTE] Thread:*
*http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-airflow-dev/201706.mbox/%3CCAHEEp7XRRk__hGUMjOCw%2BTW0Gc--78qEewcsAsQBLrv1x6j71w%40mail.gmail.com%3E
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-airflow-dev/201706.mbox/%3CCAHEEp7XRRk__hGUMjOCw%2BTW0Gc--78qEewcsAsQBLrv1x6j71w%40mail.gmail.com%3E>*

TODO

*The release candidate(s) to be voted on is available at:*
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/ or
*https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/apache-airflow-1.8.2rc2+incubating.tar.gz
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/apache-airflow-1.8.2rc2+incubating.tar.gz>*

*Git branch*
https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/tree/v1-8-test or
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-airflow.
git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/v1-8-stable;hb=refs/heads/v1-8-test

*Git tag*
*https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-airflow.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/1.8.2rc2
<https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-airflow.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/tags/1.8.2rc2>*

*PGP signature*
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/apache-airflow-1.8.2rc2+incubating.tar.gz.asc

*MD5/SHA Hashes*
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/apache-airflow-1.8.2rc2+incubating.tar.gz.md5
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/apache-airflow-1.8.2rc2+incubating.tar.gz.sha

*Keys to verify the signature of the release artifacts are available at:*
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow/

* RAT License checks*

RAT is executed as part of the CI process (e.g.
https://travis-ci.org/apache/incubator-airflow/builds/226568140) but can
also be run manually by issuing “sh scripts/ci/check-license.sh” from the
top level.

Source code is always included, i.e. there is no binary release.
Compilation and installation will happen by standard Python practices, e.g.
pip install <> or python setup.py install.

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until necessary number of
votes are reached.

Members please be sure to indicate "(Binding)" with your vote which will
help in tallying the vote(s).

[ ] +1  approve
[ ] +0  no opinion
[ ] -1  disapprove (and reason why)

*Here is my +1 (non-binding)*

Cheers,

Max

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Airflow 1.8.2 (incubating)

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding).  Sorry for the late vote; was on holiday.  This release
has gotten a bit complicated in that it didn't actually end up with 3
binding votes.  Going to add mine now.

* MD5/SHAs check out.
* LICENSE/NOTICE/DISCLAIMER look good
* spot check on licenses looks good.
* setup works.

-Jakob

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

That’s for the whole project nvd3, which was then also dual licensed APL2. Next to that this file has existed only for two months in this repository:

Bolkes-MacBook-Pro:nvd3 bolke$ git log --all --full-history -- GPL-LICENSE.v3.txt
commit 8e52a5743e843015495da495f83153ac5552edf3
Author: Bob Monteverde <bo...@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed May 23 15:58:58 2012 -0400

    Removing old GPL license

commit 2f017c2e0d12f778de6259395f1be4ed4485bd6d
Author: Bob Monteverde <bo...@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Mar 21 17:16:43 2012 -0400

    Added added generic gitignore, and added license files.

The patch that contains “bullet.js” was committed on Wed May 25 (https://github.com/novus/nvd3/commit/b7670eeaffe45a23bae1797306750c2b6ae8bcce <https://github.com/novus/nvd3/commit/b7670eeaffe45a23bae1797306750c2b6ae8bcce>), thus after the removal of the GPL-license file, and specifically states it is copied from d3-examples which is BSD licensed.

Only two authors were active during/before the dual APL/GPL period: Bob Monteverde, Nathanael Anderson.

Do we need to seek more reaffirmation? I am reaching out to the original author in the meantime.

Cheers
Bolke

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.
I have looked at the history of nvd3 “bullet” implementation and its history says it is copied from d3-examples (https://github.com/novus/nvd3/commit/b7670eeaffe45a23bae1797306750c2b6ae8bcce <https://github.com/novus/nvd3/commit/b7670eeaffe45a23bae1797306750c2b6ae8bcce>)  which is located at: https://github.com/d3/d3-plugins/blob/master/bullet/bullet.js <https://github.com/d3/d3-plugins/blob/master/bullet/bullet.js> , this is authored by the same author as the “protovis” version, but is licensed under a BSD 3 clause: https://github.com/d3/d3-plugins/blob/master/LICENSE.

Should I include this analysis anywhere?

Cheers
Bolke

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
And to answer the question why this only came up now.  I'm mentoring the
Aria Tosca project, and looking at their release pointed out some of these
issues, so only then I came to find out the differences about this.  Thanks
to Ran, I understand better now.

John

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ran Ziv <ra...@gigaspaces.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> The situation isn't that bad. It is due to the fact this is a "sdist" (not a bdist).

A single -1 vote isn’t bad and other IPMC member may vote +1 - but probably unlikely in this case I think.

Whatever the artefact is called the LICENSE and NOTICE needs to reflect what is contained with in it. [1] Also [2] "Any redistribution must obey the licensing requirements of the contents.”

If there is any GPL code in there (and I’m not 100% there is but licensing around that file needs looking at IMO) then that would be an issue [3]

> Our git repo does contain the licenses and does pass RAT.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding something but I don’t see any of those missing licenses mentioned in the LICENSE here [4] in fact it looks identical to the one in the distribution I just reviewed.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#binary
3. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#prohibited
4. https://github.com/apache/incubator-airflow/blob/master/LICENSE

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Airflow 1.8.2 (incubating)

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.
The situation isn't that bad. It is due to the fact this is a "sdist" (not a bdist). Our git repo does contain the licenses and does pass RAT.

I'll discuss with Max how we will fix this. Probably we create a real "source tarball" with build instructions to create a "sdist". Let's see. I'm just surprised it wasn't spotted earlier as this is our third release through the incubator this way.

Bolke

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I have a few questions about the release contents.

I ran RAT, and found many unapproved files.  Are you maybe missing a few
things from your rat excludes?  https://paste.apache.org/jBql is the report
I got (ignore rat-output, it's the file I was piping to).  Note that there
is no rat-excludes file in the distribution yet there is one in the git
repo.  Also, I cannot follow the instructions in the email to run rat which
points to "sh scripts/ci/check-license.sh" which doesn't exist in the
release.

In addition, comparing the release contents to your git repository, are you
sure this is your source release and not your bdist (in pypi terms)?  While
its good to have the convenience binary around, we're looking to review and
approve the source release for compliance.  I've been working with the
AriaTosca podling, we've come up with a process to create the source
release, sdist and bdist that would be distributed via pypi.

John