Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/03 19:12:23 UTC

refactoration of Pluto Admin 1.1

Hi there,

Since you have made some modifications on the Pluto Driver subproject, the
previous Pluto Admin did not work any more. So I am thinking of refactoring
the admin app:

1. Provide a pluto-independent Struts-like MVC framework for portlet. I
don't know whether Struts supports portlet currently, but I think it not
necessary to require Struts to run the admin. I can write a very simple yet
not full-featured MVC framework based on which I may facilitate the admin
development.

2. Separate the pluto portal driver dependent codes into a single package.
Since Pluto 1.1 is still on development, there will probably be
midifications on the portal driver. So separating the dependent code will
make it easier to meet the future need.

I'd like to collaborate with you on the admin app. So what you think about
the refactoring plan?

Regards.

--

ZHENG Zhong
heavyzheng {AT} gmail {D0T} com

Re: refactoration of Pluto Admin 1.1

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

CDoremus@hannaford.com wrote:

> David,
>
> Most of the most common web frameworks now have portlet adapters
> including Struts, Web Work, Tapestry, Spring, Cocoon and Java Server Faces.
>
> But I'd rather not pick one of these at this time and add unneeded
> complication into the mix. The portlet API is simple enough and
> something we should be able to work with easily. As I said in my
> iteration of Pluto 1.1 admin portlets.

I guess it really depends about the scope of what we're talking about.
In Zheng's original post, I got the impression that he was planning to
develop a "framework" but scale it down a little to eliminate the bells
and whistles.   I (perhaps mistakenly) assumed that meant a framework
which could be reused on other portlet applications -- I don't want to
have to suppport that within pluto and if we really need one would much
rather just pick one of the available ones allready.  If on the other
hand we're just talking about implementing a simple controller portlet -
that's a different story.

> If we are going to pick a framework it should be JSF since it is a Java
> Standard (JSR) like the Portlet API.

:), I'm not a huge fan of JSF.  Of course, I would be open to discussing
it if we really need it. . .

David

Posted by CD...@hannaford.com.
David,

Most of the most common web frameworks now have portlet adapters including
Struts, Web Work, Tapestry, Spring, Cocoon and Java Server Faces.

But I'd rather not pick one of these at this time and add unneeded
complication into the mix. The portlet API is simple enough and something
we should be able to work with easily. As I said in my previous post, we
can build on Zheng's command-pattern used in his first iteration of Pluto
1.1 admin portlets.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I enjoy the discussion with you. Here are some points I summarized from the
conversation:

1. Using the command pattern to implement the admin app is preferred. In
this way we do not need some external dependencies. The patch I submitted to
JIRA contains a framework designed for the admin app. Maybe that is too
complicated and shoud be simplified?

2. As Craig said, whether to have the admin app as a separate webapp or
incorporated into the Pluto's portal is a thorny issue. David proposed to
implement the deployment within the portal and provide a mechanism for
connecting to the portal and sending the deploy/undeploy commands, in order
to allow multiple interfaces to the functionality. I like that idea.

3. The admin app implementation should not be bound to a single servlet
container (Tomcat). The cross context issue (and binding portlet session to
servlet context) needs to be fixed for Pluto 1.1.

4. Some new features should be added to the admin app, including the
administration of authenticated users, user information attributes, and
portal layout management.

Mmm... the admin app seems to be a very interesting mission. :-)

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Regards.

Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: refactoration of Pluto Admin 1.1

Posted by Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ate,

Thank you very much for the advice. I've checked out the source code of
portals-bridges/struts, and will take a look at it in the following days. In
fact, the session binding problem in Pluto 1.1 comes from the cross context:
in the processAction() method, portlet session is bound to the portal's
servlet context, while in the render() method, portlet session is bound to
the portlet app's servlet context.

I will check that issue on Pluto 1.0.1.

Regards.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I've just attached the admin app as well as a simple framework I implemented
last week as a zip file to JIRA:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PLUTO-160

The admin is far from complete. The goal of this attachment is just to
express a global idea. I am waiting for your opinions.

Regards.

Posted by Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Zhong ZHENG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of separating the pluto admin app into a single
> subproject, like the testsuite, as mentioned earlier. For the
> requirements, there will be no problem for the file upload and war
> deployment functionalities, because they are independent to the portal
> driver. But the ability to update the portal's configuration object
> seems a little bothering to me.
>
> The portal configuration is an object private to the portal webapp.
> Currently it is saved in the portal's servlet context as an attribute.
> So how should the portal expose the operation on the config to the admin
> app?
>
> One way is to separate the portal config API into a single jar file
> (like the descriptors) and put it into tomcat's shared/lib directory, to
> make it shared by all the webapps. But that may have some serious problems:
>
> 1) That gives all the webapps the ability to operate the portal's
> configuration object. In fact, only the admin app should have that
> ability, but we cannot prevent other webapps from doing that, if some of
> them really want to do something bad.
>
> 2) Even for the admin app, it needs to use tomcat's cross context
> functionality to retrieve the current configuration object from the
> portal's servlet context. That depends heavily on the servlet
> container's implementation. We have already had an issue about that.

Ya, we don't want to code ourselves into a whole of being stuck on a
single container.

> Now I am thinking if we may have an alternate way to perform the
> deployment. Maybe we may ask the portal driver to detect automatically
> the deployed portlet apps, something like how tomcat does to deploy
> webapps. I am not sure if that is feasible...

Yes, something like this is possible.  What about implementing
deployment within the portal and providing a mechanism (perhaps ws?) for
connecting to the portal and sending the deploy/undeploy commands.  This
would allow us to have multiple interfaces to the functionality - a
portlet, a command line utility, etc. . .

> For the design pattern: if we use the command pattern, we do not need to
> use a portlet framework any more (such as portals-bridges/struts or
> tapestry-portlets). So, what is your preference? To implement the admin
> all by ourselves, or to use an existing framework that supports portlets?

Either one of those is fine with me.  My point is simply that we don't
need to develop our own framework.  To me, the choices are:

1) Simple Command Patter Portlet
2) Reuse an existing framework.

> [...]
>     	refactoration of Pluto Admin 1.1
>

>     Hi there,
>
>     Since you have made some modifications on the Pluto Driver
>     subproject, the previous Pluto Admin did not work any more. So I am
>     thinking of refactoring the admin app:
>
>     1. Provide a pluto-independent Struts-like MVC framework for
>     portlet. I don't know whether Struts supports portlet currently, but
>     I think it not necessary to require Struts to run the admin. I can
>     write a very simple yet not full-featured MVC framework based on
>     which I may facilitate the admin development.
>
>     2. Separate the pluto portal driver dependent codes into a single
>     package. Since Pluto 1.1 is still on development, there will
>     probably be midifications on the portal driver. So separating the
>     dependent code will make it easier to meet the future need.
>
>     I'd like to collaborate with you on the admin app. So what you think

Whether to have the admin portlet app as a separate webapp or incorporated
into the Pluto's portal is a thorny issue. I originally created the admin
portlet app as a separate webapp, but incorporating it into the portal
made reuse a lot easier without having to open up the container to the
'public' (as you mentioned in problem 1). I am undecided as which way to
go in Pluto 1.1.

All of my focus has been on Pluto 1.0.1, so I can't advise you right now
on how to implement configuration by admin portlets in Pluto 1.1.
Automatic deployment  by the container sounds interesting, but I don't
think it is a good idea because reconfiguration (e.g. changing portlet app
layout) will require direct involvement of the admin portlets. It will be
best to keep all admin functions under the control of the admin portlet
app.

As I said in a previous post today, I think it is a bad idea to use a
'portletized' web framework. All of the portlet implementations are still
under development, and I think we need to keep external dependancies down
to a minimum.  Struts is a particular bad choice, IMHO, because Struts is
in maintenance mode and appears to be a passe web framework to be
superceded by JSF. However, we don't need to invent a portlet framework.
The portlet API is simple enough for us to use out-of-the box with a
common entry point (master controller in J2EE pattern-speak).

Here are a few other requirements for the admin portlet app I've thought
about:
1. Separate portlets for deployment (file upload and config file inserts)
and layout.
2. Architectural flexibility that will allow different implementation of
admin functions in different servlet containers (especially jetty).

FYI, I have the day off today and am busy with other things, so my
response to the various discussions might be spotty. I will try to start
wrapping my head around Pluto 1.1 this week.
/Craig

Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com>
09/05/2005 11:22 AM

Posted by Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com>.