Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/20 15:53:40 UTC

Website – Download – Git hash

Hi,

On the download page, right below the green download box, there's a line
starting with "Release […] | Build ID […] | Git hash […]". I'd like to
translate the word "hash" but can't locate it in the HTML files. I was
expecting to find it in "msg_prop_l10n_en.js/msg_prop_l10n_lt.js" but
couldn't. Does anyone have an idea/inkling where it's coming from?

Regards,

Aivaras

Re: Website – Download – Git hash

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 20.02.20 um 20:27 schrieb Czesław Wolański:
>   I am haunted. I though that green box had to be somewhere on Pootle page.

exceptionally, it's not in OpenOffice (and therefore not in Pootle) but
on the webpage (see the light green box):

https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

> Seems that  something is wrong in my brain department. How dumb of me!

I don't mind. :-)

Marcus

Posted by Czesław Wolański <cz...@gmail.com>.
 I am haunted. I though that green box had to be somewhere on Pootle page.

Seems that  something is wrong in my brain department. How dumb of me!

with apologies,

Czesław Wolański.

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.

Posted by Czesław Wolański <cz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 02.03.20 um 19:34 schrieb Marcus:
> Am 21.02.20 um 12:16 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>> Thanks for the explanation!
>>
>> Ideally, "hash" should be translated as it is what it is: a common
>> English noun in what is otherwise a page in another language. In fact,
>> "hash" is already used /and/ translated on the same page in the
>> ensuing two lines ("Signatures and hashes […]"). A visitor who knows
>> what "hash" means will find instances of it both translated and
>> untranslated on the same page and will tend to interpret the situation
>> as linguistic inconsistency and negligence.
>>
>> Overall, if we cling to the principle of AOO and its website being
>> subject to localization, technical solutions should ensure the
>> principle is upheld.
>>
>> Having said that, it is ultimately a matter of just how much resources
>> we have and how we allocate them. It's a finite and contingent world.
>> Marcus, your presence, expertise, and input, very much appreciated!
>
> I'm waiting now since some days to get more feedback but I think there
> is no one else speaking up.
>
> The effort would be to do the following:
>
> - update every release item of the release matrix
> - extract the "SVN" and "Git hash" terms
> - put these terms into the *.msg files for every language
> - that needs to be translated into the respective language, otherwise
> it's still in English and nothing is won ;-)
> - create a logic to identify if the release is based on SVN or Git
>
> IMHO it's way too much effort for to less benefit.

of course when there would be a bigger rework on these webpages then we
can include this. However, at the moment there is none planned.

Marcus

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 21.02.20 um 12:16 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> Thanks for the explanation!
>
> Ideally, "hash" should be translated as it is what it is: a common
> English noun in what is otherwise a page in another language. In fact,
> "hash" is already used /and/ translated on the same page in the ensuing
> two lines ("Signatures and hashes […]"). A visitor who knows what "hash"
> means will find instances of it both translated and untranslated on the
> same page and will tend to interpret the situation as linguistic
> inconsistency and negligence.
>
> Overall, if we cling to the principle of AOO and its website being
> subject to localization, technical solutions should ensure the principle
> is upheld.
>
> Having said that, it is ultimately a matter of just how much resources
> we have and how we allocate them. It's a finite and contingent world.
> Marcus, your presence, expertise, and input, very much appreciated!

I'm waiting now since some days to get more feedback but I think there
is no one else speaking up.

The effort would be to do the following:

- update every release item of the release matrix
- extract the "SVN" and "Git hash" terms
- put these terms into the *.msg files for every language
- that needs to be translated into the respective language, otherwise
it's still in English and nothing is won ;-)
- create a logic to identify if the release is based on SVN or Git

IMHO it's way too much effort for to less benefit.

Sorry ;-(

Marcus

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis <as...@gmail.com>.
Marcus,