Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Craig Longman <cr...@begeek.com> on 2002/09/11 12:57:31 UTC

passing parameters

i'm very new to struts.  i've been using systems that are more script
oriented, but find that struts is a better fit for keeping things in the
webpage simple, so i'm delving in to try and understand it.

the first that threw me for a loop was the apparent total lack of
support for hashtables, other than simply iterating through them.  much
of my thinking and code is going to have to change to accommodate that.
if i've mis-read the documents that my searches produced and hashtables
are in fact well supported, someone please correct me.

the first problem i'm having, is figuring out how to call some of my
code in an attempt to have it do the work hashtables used to do.  for
example, i have a system that produces a 'where am i' menu for the user,
something like:

  home -> search -> results -> detail

this is done dynamically.  what i need to have happen, is for each page
to be able to invoke a method and pass in the name of the current page,
the return value will then be an object representing the 'current page'.
but how does one accomplish this?  can one even accomplish it without
writing custom tags?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

    CraigL->Thx();