Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> on 2010/09/21 18:28:42 UTC

Re: old master to 0.90 and new master to 0.92? (was RE: Millions of photos into Hbase)

So while you were in the plane a few things were discussed :)

In the thread "[VOTE] Release 'development release' HBase 0.89.2010830
rc2", it was decided that we sink RC2 in favor of a new RC with a
rollback of the zk-based assignment. This is what we're running here,
and Ryan published our repo yesterday
http://github.com/stumbleupon/hbase  (see the top of the CHANGES file
for what we added)

Also some of your arguments correlate those of Todd, expressed in the
thread "Next release" that was posted on 09/15. Stack and Andrew
expressed their opinions in favor of Todd's option #1 (although Stack
said that he would decide tomorrow if he changes his opinion after
some more work on the master).

My personal opinion leans towards Todd's option #2. 0.20.0 is now more
than a year old, we are able to release almost production-ready code
that is durable, so why not move forward with it (this is what we did
here). There are a few issues to fix, but it's small compared to
getting the new master in shape plus getting the rest working (like
the replication code's interaction with ZooKeeper that needs to be
redone).

J-D