Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> on 2015/05/28 09:16:01 UTC

consume topics from kafka

Hi,

using a KafkaSpout I realized that my topology does not consume the topics
from Kafka (i.e., next time I run the topology the old topics are still
there). Probably it's a misunderstanding from my side, but, how should I
tell my topology that those entries should no remain there once they have
been processed?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: consume topics from kafka

Posted by "Jake K. Dodd" <ja...@ontopic.io>.
Hi Sergio,

The short answer is that Kafka is a log, not a message queue. When you read a Kafka entry, you're reading from a position in the log--not popping or peeking from a queue.

If you want all the gritty details, I suggest you read this article, and then check out the Kafka docs:

http://engineering.linkedin.com/distributed-systems/log-what-every-software-engineer-should-know-about-real-time-datas-unifying

http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html

Best

Jake K Dodd