Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike - EMAIL IGNORED <m_...@yahoo.com> on 2006/06/19 18:21:22 UTC

[users@httpd] RE: /my.html#mySection

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:05:42 +0200, Boyle Owen wrote:

> [...]
[...]

# uname -a
Linux mbrc20 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4 #1 Thu Jan 5 22:13:22
   EST 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Here is a (slightly edited with XXX YYY ZZZ) log line
from httpd-2.0.54-10.3 :

   64.233.173.67 - - [18/Jun/2006:14:03:11 -0400]
      "GET /XXX/XXX/YYY.html#ZZZ
      HTTP/1.1" 403 - "http://www.XXX.net/religion/XXX/XXX/YYY.html"
      "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1
      .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"

As you can see, good practice notwithstanding, there is a #YYY
in the GET.  I have confirmed this by examining the incoming
packet captured with tethereal (ethereal-0.10.13-1.FC4.2) .

Now the #ZZZ is legitimate in the sense that my YYY.html does
contain that hypertext. However, in my experience, browsers do
not normally send the #ZZZ, as explained above.

My question is "how should I respond to it?"  Here are choices:

   1. Send 403 (Forbidden), which is what I do now.
   2. Strip the #ZZZ in my CGI and YYY.html normally.
   3. Something else I didn't think of.

Additionally, I wonder why the #ZZZ appeared in the first place.

Thanks for your interest in this.
Mike.

[users@httpd] Re: Re: RE: /my.html#mySection

Posted by Mike - EMAIL IGNORED <m_...@yahoo.com>.

       HTTP/1.1" 403 - "http://www.XXX.net/XXX/XXX/YYY.html"

Re: [users@httpd] Re: RE: /my.html#mySection

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Mike - EMAIL IGNORED <m_...@yahoo.com>.
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:42:33 -0600, David Salisbury wrote:

[...]
>>> Additionally, I wonder why the #ZZZ appeared in the first place.
>>
>> a bug in the client I guess, I've seen this problem in some proxy server's
>> mailing list...
>
> I would guess all that happened was the user bookmarked the page with the anchor.
> I can't imagine it's a security problem.
>

> -ds

[...]

I just tried the bookmarking idea with both Firefox and Internet
Explorer. In each case, I went to a page and an anchor in the middle, and
bookmarked. I then closed the browser, reopened, and selected the
bookmark.  In each case, the correct display appeared.  In neither case
did the anchor (#ZZZ) appear in the httpd log.  Since my CGI sends 403 if
it sees #ZZZ, we can safely assume that the browsers did not send it.

Re: [users@httpd] RE: /my.html#mySection

Posted by David Salisbury <sa...@globe.gov>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 19.06.06 12:21, Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
>    64.233.173.67 - - [18/Jun/2006:14:03:11 -0400]
>       "GET /XXX/XXX/YYY.html#ZZZ
>       HTTP/1.1" 403 - "http://www.XXX.net/religion/XXX/XXX/YYY.html"
>       "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1
>       .NET CLR 1.1.4322)"
>
> As you can see, good practice notwithstanding, there is a #YYY
> in the GET.  I have confirmed this by examining the incoming
> packet captured with tethereal (ethereal-0.10.13-1.FC4.2) .
>
> Now the #ZZZ is legitimate in the sense that my YYY.html does
> contain that hypertext. However, in my experience, browsers do
> not normally send the #ZZZ, as explained above.
>
> My question is "how should I respond to it?"  Here are choices:
>
>    1. Send 403 (Forbidden), which is what I do now.
>    2. Strip the #ZZZ in my CGI and YYY.html normally.
>    3. Something else I didn't think of.

I vote for 1.

> Additionally, I wonder why the #ZZZ appeared in the first place.

a bug in the client I guess, I've seen this problem in some proxy server's
mailing list...
It's now safe to throw off your computer.