Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Devora <de...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/25 12:15:26 UTC

Solr in a windows shared hosting environment

Hi,

Is it possible to install Solr in  a windows (IIS 7 or IIS 7.5)  shared
hosting environment?

If yes, where can I find instructions how to do that?

Thank you!

Re: Solr in a windows shared hosting environment

Posted by simon <mt...@gmail.com>.
That's not a question we can answer in this group - you need to take it up
with your hosting provider - they may already have it available.

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.
You visit the Sun (oops, I mean Oracle -- old habits die hard) web site, download it and install it, or, being shared, you ask your provider to do it for you.  They might decline, of course, in which case you host another web server using a hosting provide who does support java (or, at least another machine, if they don't want to have a Java app. container alongside IIS.)

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Since it's shared hosting, how do I install java?

Yes, but since Solr is written in Java to run in a JEE container, you would
host Solr in a web application server, either Jetty (which comes packaged),
or something else (say, Tomcat or WebSphere or something like that).

As a result, you aren't going to find anything that says how to run Solr
under IIS because it doesn't run under IIS.

It doesn't need IIS, though it can certainly coexist alongside IIS.  If you
want the requests to go thru IIS you might need a plug-in in IIS to handle
that (IBM's WebSphere has such a plugin).  If you don't need the requests to

Posted by Devora <de...@gmail.com>.
Thank you!

Posted by "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Ja...@dot.wi.gov>.
Yes, but since Solr is written in Java to run in a JEE container, you would host Solr in a web application server, either Jetty (which comes packaged), or something else (say, Tomcat or WebSphere or something like that).

As a result, you aren't going to find anything that says how to run Solr under IIS because it doesn't run under IIS.

It doesn't need IIS, though it can certainly coexist alongside IIS.  If you want the requests to go thru IIS you might need a plug-in in IIS to handle that (IBM's WebSphere has such a plugin).  If you don't need the requests to go thru IIS, then that isn't an issue.

Hope that helps.

JRJ