Posted to dev@syncope.apache.org by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> on 2014/06/24 15:18:23 UTC

Binary Schema UI enhancements

Hi all,

I've had a change to look at the changes made as part of SYNCOPE-123, to
support binary attributes. I can now load a X509 Certificate + associate it
with a user, and propagate (+ sync) it to LDAP via the userCertificate
attribute. Nice work Francesco!

I just have some minor UI enhancement ideas:

a) Instead of making the user input a MIME Type, why not just have a
dropdown list with (e.g.) the following?

http://www.sitepoint.com/web-foundations/mime-types-complete-list/

b) I think the "User" UI needs some work. Right now, there is no way of
telling whether a user has an associated binary attribute by looking at the
screen, you need to download the attribute and see if it has content or
not. Maybe we could have a checkbox that shows whether the attribute has
content or not? Or we could display the total byte count of the attribute
or something?

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Binary Schema UI enhancements

Posted by andrea patricelli <an...@tirasa.net>.
Hi Colm,

> Hi Francesco,
>
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <ilgrosso@apache.org
>> wrote:
>> Why don't we put instead an auto-complete field featuring this list -
>> can't believe CXF hasn't turned it yet into a handful constant class ;-) -
>> instead?
>> Being the list very long, a plain dropdown would be less handy, IMO, and
>> would also prohibit any non-standard input (say a mimeType only valid
>> within a company or so).
>

> +1 sounds good.
>

> Since AFAIK Andrea is currently thinking about how to provide a pluggable
>> binary viewer mechanism (as we discussed in [1]), we could open an issue
>> for "Binary Schema UI enhancements" and include the notes above + [1].
>> WDYT?
>>
>> [1]
>> http://syncope-user.1051894.n5.nabble.com/Certificates-in-Syncope-td5706704.html
>
> +1 as well. Would this be done for 1.2?
Yes, I just opened [1].

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-516

> Colm.

Regards,
Andrea

--
Dott. Andrea Patricelli
Tel +393204524292

Junior Engineer @ Tirasa S.r.l.
Viale D'Annunzio 267 - 65127 Pescara
Tel +390859116307 / FAX +39 0859111173
http://www.tirasa.net

Re: Binary Schema UI enhancements

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Hi Francesco,

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
> Hi all,
>
> I've had a change to look at the changes made as part of SYNCOPE-123, to
> support binary attributes. I can now load a X509 Certificate + associate it
> with a user, and propagate (+ sync) it to LDAP via the userCertificate
> attribute. Nice work Francesco!

Thanks Colm :-)

> I just have some minor UI enhancement ideas:
>
> a) Instead of making the user input a MIME Type, why not just have a
> dropdown list with (e.g.) the following?
>
> http://www.sitepoint.com/web-foundations/mime-types-complete-list/

Why don't we put instead an auto-complete field featuring this list -
can't believe CXF hasn't turned it yet into a handful constant class ;-)
- instead?
Being the list very long, a plain dropdown would be less handy, IMO, and
would also prohibit any non-standard input (say a mimeType only valid
within a company or so).

> b) I think the "User" UI needs some work. Right now, there is no way of
> telling whether a user has an associated binary attribute by looking at the
> screen, you need to download the attribute and see if it has content or
> not. Maybe we could have a checkbox that shows whether the attribute has
> content or not? Or we could display the total byte count of the attribute
> or something?

You are right.

Since AFAIK Andrea is currently thinking about how to provide a
pluggable binary viewer mechanism (as we discussed in [1]), we could
open an issue for "Binary Schema UI enhancements" and include the notes
above + [1].
WDYT?

[1]
http://syncope-user.1051894.n5.nabble.com/Certificates-in-Syncope-td5706704.html