Posted to user@sqoop.apache.org by pratik khadloya <ti...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/27 19:43:46 UTC

Join parquet-dev google group?

I know this is not related, but i am facing some issues with the Parquet
format and have questions for the parquet-dev community. But i am unable to
join the parquet-dev googlegroup as i do not see a subscribe link over
there. Can anyone please show me how to join the parquet-dev google group?

Thanks,
Pratik

Re: Join parquet-dev google group?

Posted by pratik khadloya <ti...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply Xu. Gwen gave me information about how to join the
parquet-dev mailing list ( http://parquet.incubator.apache.org/community/ ).

There are no issues with parquet format. It seems like they do not have a
ready api to read the columns directly in memory.
Have asked the question here too:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25334466/parquet-read-particular-columns-into-memory

Also, i had posted to the parquet-dev mailing list a question about how the
different meta-data objects relate to each other.
I think the metadata relationships diagram on the parquet-mr github page (
https://github.com/Parquet/parquet-format ) is out of date with what is in
the code.
 I do not see any BlockMetaData in the diagram and seems like
ColumnMetaData has been renamed to ColumnChunkMetaData, also some of the
variable names have been changed.
Currently i am trying to figure out how to get the total count of the
number of rows for a given column and if nulls would be included in the
count or not.
I am doing this so that i can read the entire columns in memory (have to
allocate exact amount of space) and then index them by the primary key, so
that i can do fast in memory lookups.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
~Pratik