Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org> on 2003/04/18 15:08:53 UTC

mod_webapp deprecation - care if I close bugs

I thought I saw in past threads that mod_webapp is now
deprecated/unsupported. Does anyone care if I take some time to hunt down
anything in bugzilla mod_webapp related and change it to: RESOLVED,WONTFIX
with the comment:

"mod_webapp is deprecated and unsupported due to lack of developer interest.
Please use mod_jk, or jk2"

-Tim

Re: mod_webapp deprecation - care if I close bugs

Posted by James Williamson <ja...@nameonthe.net>.
> James Williamson wrote:

> > I recently posted a patch which solved the major bugbear of mod_webapp:
> > the seperating of static and dynamic content. In fact, it provides an
> > allow/deny
> > facility, something mod_jk doesn't.
> >
> > In fact, I've fixed some of the other bugs with mod_webapp (JMX etc),
I'd
> > be happy to contribute the bug fixes.
> >
> > Does anyone have any figures on speed etc between the two connectors?
>
> What's this allow/deny property ?
>
> Do you means you could forward /examples/* to tomcat except
> /examples/*.html ?
>
> If so, it should be easy to add in both jk/jk2 but I didn't recall
> have such requests

That's exactly it, with all the free webapps out there written in all sorts
of languages
we find many of our clients are combining jsp/servlets with php/asp/perl
etc. Obviously having
allow/deny makes the co-existence of these web technologies fairly painless.

Regards,

James Williamson
www.nameonthe.net
Tel: +44 208 7415453
Fax: + 44 208 7411615

Re: mod_webapp deprecation - care if I close bugs

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
James Williamson wrote:
>>Tim Funk wrote:
>>
>>>I thought I saw in past threads that mod_webapp is now
>>>deprecated/unsupported. Does anyone care if I take some time to hunt
>>>down anything in bugzilla mod_webapp related and change it to:
>>>RESOLVED,WONTFIX with the comment:
>>>
>>>"mod_webapp is deprecated and unsupported due to lack of developer
>>>interest. Please use mod_jk, or jk2"
>

> I recently posted a patch which solved the major bugbear of mod_webapp:
> the seperating of static and dynamic content. In fact, it provides an
> allow/deny
> facility, something mod_jk doesn't.
>
> In fact, I've fixed some of the other bugs with mod_webapp (JMX etc), I'd
> be happy to contribute the bug fixes.
>
> Does anyone have any figures on speed etc between the two connectors?

We made the decision to deprecate mod_webapp now, because months ago we
decided to use the Coyote API (fancy name to describe a set of utility
code in j-t-c/util) to optimize Catalina in Tomcat 5.0. As a result, the
old connectors will not work (that includes mod_webapp). So we can't
undeprecate mod_webapp even if it gets some bugfix attention again
(something which hasn't happened in months); the only solution to start
supporting it again is if it gets ported to the Coyote API, like JK has.

There are also other requirements, including documentation, etc, since
we don't want to get back to the Tomcat 4.0 situation.

Remy

Re: mod_webapp deprecation - care if I close bugs

Posted by James Williamson <ja...@nameonthe.net>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Tim Funk wrote:
> I thought I saw in past threads that mod_webapp is now
> deprecated/unsupported. Does anyone care if I take some time to hunt
> down anything in bugzilla mod_webapp related and change it to:
> RESOLVED,WONTFIX with the comment:
>
> "mod_webapp is deprecated and unsupported due to lack of developer
> interest. Please use mod_jk, or jk2"

+1. I did some of them already.

Remy