Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> on 2018/01/26 16:47:09 UTC

***UNCHECKED*** github wiki experiment

Hi all,

As an experiment I've uploaded the NetBeans DevFaq wiki entries to

https://github.com/vieiro/incubator-netbeans-website/wiki

Which is associated with the git repo

https://github.com/vieiro/incubator-netbeans-website.wiki.git

The idea is to experiment with this to see if it fits our needs. Please
add or modify entries as you see fit. Do not worry about content, as it
will be wiped out later.

Things to experiment with:
- See how pages can be modified by the team. The wiki is unrestricted
right now (I think) but maybe we want to restrict modifications to
collaborators [1].
- See if the github editor is good enough for us.
- AFAIK github's wikis do not support PRs. Approving content may be an
issue.

If it does not fit our needs we may want to experiment with other
alternatives:

- Store the wiki in a plain github repo (not a wiki one), and use the
'gh-pages' to render it to html in github.
- Store the wiki in a plain github repo and use the static site
generator to publish it somewhere else.
- Use Apache's MoinMoin to render and edit the wiki.
- Any others you may think of.

So please give it a run and complain as appropriate.

Thanks,
Antonio

[1]
https://help.github.com/articles/changing-access-permissions-for-wikis/

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** github wiki experiment

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 27 Jan 2018, 22:36 Antonio, <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> So we leave the wiki as is, right? (I'm confused)

Sorry! Not trying to confuse you - almost confused myself rereading that.
;-)

If we're going to do external wiki edits via pull requests as you suggest,
then we might as well use a standard git repo.

I still think separate from the rest of the website for now, personally.
The added complexity of mirroring a GH wiki only makes sense to me, though,
if the purpose is wider edit permissions.

Try editing your wiki files via the standard GH repo UI and the wiki UI.
See what you think. Not hugely different.

> asciidoc seems more standard than markdown. Tables, for instance, are an
> extension to markdown, but are native in asciidoc. asciidoc can also be
> transformed to docbook & epub more easily, I think.

Fair enough. I've used markdown a lot more because of its integration with
other tools (both online client UIs and with pandoc, which AFAIK does
docbook & epub), but really no strong opinion either way.

> P.S.: I don't recall adding the 'UNCHECKED' stuff in the subject of the
> thread. I think either my email client or the mailing list daemon assume
> I'm an "unchecked" person or something O_o.

Wondered about that.

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** github wiki experiment

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

On 27/01/18 18:51, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 at 16:41 Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:
>
>> Then could restrict wiki editing to the team, using the editor for
>> ourselves, and allow the world to submit PRs against 'X'.
>>

> If we're doing that and not allowing wider permissions, I don't see that we
> gain much by adding cloning between.   Surely we can just run a standard
> repo and forget the GH wiki specifically - we can still edit online.  The
> only thing we really lose is the toolbar, but that was more with wider
> access in mind - if we're doing PRs then doesn't seem much point.

So we leave the wiki as is, right? (I'm confused)

> If we find we want a better UI later, there are options (like Netlify CMS,
> but also others).  Mind you, not sure if any support asciidoc over markdown
> - was there a particular reason you went with that?

asciidoc seems more standard than markdown. Tables, for instance, are an
extension to markdown, but are native in asciidoc. asciidoc can also be
transformed to docbook & epub more easily, I think.

> Best wishes,
>
> Neil

Cheers,
Antonio

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

On 27/01/18 17:04, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 at 17:56 Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I still haven't heard anything back from my email to infra@ to see
>> whether GitBox can handle syncing the wiki repo.
>>

> OK, had a reply on infra@.  It looks like GitHub wikis are backed up via
> GitBox, but that it's hidden and (I think, asked for clarification) the git
> repo isn't accessible from the Apache side.  This might be another argument
> in favour of just using a standard repo for the wiki?  We'd lose some
> benefits though ...

And what about using a standard github repo 'X' for the wiki, so that
Apache infra can back up that through GitBox etc...

And then make the 'X.wiki.git' _a clone_ of 'X'? This is, make
'X.wiki.git' remote's be 'X'?

Then could restrict wiki editing to the team, using the editor for
ourselves, and allow the world to submit PRs against 'X'.

Maybe we want to test that setup, right? I may give it a run later.

Cheers,
Antonio

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** github wiki experiment

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 at 17:56 Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> I still haven't heard anything back from my email to infra@ to see
> whether GitBox can handle syncing the wiki repo.

OK, had a reply on infra@.  It looks like GitHub wikis are backed up via
GitBox, but that it's hidden and (I think, asked for clarification) the git
repo isn't accessible from the Apache side.  This might be another argument
in favour of just using a standard repo for the wiki?  We'd lose some
benefits though ...

> If we want PR then this might be a better way to go.  On the other hand,
> we're limited to the permissions on the repository, although if we use a
> separate repository just for the wiki that may not be a problem.  We also
> know that standard repositories sync to Apache.  Other issue is the editing
> UI on the GitHub side isn't quite as nice - missing the toolbar.

For unrelated reasons I was re-looking at Netlify CMS yesterday (
https://www.netlifycms.org/ )  I initially looked at it a couple of years
ago for my old company when we needed some client editing options for
static sites, but it wasn't really ready then.  Might offer a better UI for
wiki-like functionality, possibly even with the JBake main site.  Shows we
have options if nothing else.

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** github wiki experiment

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 at 16:47 Antonio <an...@vieiro.net> wrote:

> As an experiment I've uploaded the NetBeans DevFaq wiki entries to
>
> https://github.com/vieiro/incubator-netbeans-website/wiki

Great!

The idea is to experiment with this to see if it fits our needs.

I still haven't heard anything back from my email to infra@ to see whether
GitBox can handle syncing the wiki repo.  Is there a better way to follow
up on this?

The wiki is unrestricted
> right now (I think) but maybe we want to restrict modifications to
> collaborators [1].
> - AFAIK github's wikis do not support PRs. Approving content may be an
> issue.

If the wiki isn't open, then the edit button forks off automatically.
There isn't a PR system still AFAIK, but people could still edit on their
fork and email to request a merge.

Personally I think open permissions makes sense, though - it's more like
the old wiki?

- Store the wiki in a plain github repo (not a wiki one), and use the
> 'gh-pages' to render it to html in github.

- Store the wiki in a plain github repo and use the static site
> generator to publish it somewhere else.

Not necessarily any different.  It'll probably still render OK without
bothering with gh-pages - Markdown definitely works.

eg. the main Praxis LIVE docs are at http://praxis-live.readthedocs.io (so
simple MkDocs static site builder), but the actual repository at
https://github.com/praxis-live/support/blob/master/docs/index.md is still
fully browsable - all the internal links work.

If we want PR then this might be a better way to go.  On the other hand,
we're limited to the permissions on the repository, although if we use a
separate repository just for the wiki that may not be a problem.  We also
know that standard repositories sync to Apache.  Other issue is the editing
UI on the GitHub side isn't quite as nice - missing the toolbar.

- Use Apache's MoinMoin to render and edit the wiki.

AFAIK this is not an option - infra docs state that they're not setting
them up any more.  Anyway, we'd be better convincing infra of the benefits
of hosting a simple git-based wiki system, then everyone gets the benefit,
including a number of other Apache projects that seem to be using GH wikis
already.

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: ***UNCHECKED*** github wiki experiment

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
This is pretty great.
​
--emi