Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com.INVALID> on 2017/09/19 10:02:57 UTC

CLOUDSTACK-8663 and CLOUDSTACK-4858

Hello guys,

I have a question on CLOUDSTACK-4858 and CLOUDSTACK-8663 issues that were fixed in the recent 4.9.3.0 release.

First of all, big up for addressing issue 4858 after about 3+ years of it being 'cooked' in the oven. This issue alone will save so much time and network traffic for many of us I am sure. This leads me to the question on pruning old snapshots on the ceph storage.

I am currently running 4.9.2.0 and for ages I've been having a problem with cloudstack leaving disk snapshots on the primary storage after they are being copied to the secondary storage. When I realised this issue, I had over 4000 snapshots on ceph. So, now I am running a small script that clears the clutter left by cloudstack's snapshotting process. So, if I were to use primary storage exclusively for keeping the snapshots, would my old snapshots be removed according to the snapshot schedule? Or has this function been missed out?

Thanks

Andrei

Re: CLOUDSTACK-8663 and CLOUDSTACK-4858

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrei,

though I can not comment on the particular tickets you mentioned, we also
had identical problems with using CEPH (imagine hourly snaps, which not
deleted properly for some months...:) )

We have internally updated ACS code to actually "really" remove snapshots
on CEPH when snap deleted via ACS. and some more improvements with CEPH.
Unfortunately, we haven't committed this yet to community...
If you are interested in those, please ping me, and I might connect you
with our developers.

Cheers,
Andrija

--