Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2016/09/21 20:49:34 UTC

4.1.3 building

1. My current policy for release blocker is to grant it immediately if
it seems obvious to me that a fix is needed to build 4.1.3. I will also
do so based on prior security@ discussion. Otherwise, I'll ask for input
on dev@ before deciding.

2. I would like to get a list of environments in which 4.1.3 has been
successfully built. I'll announce time to build a release candidate when
it builds in the required environments.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
The purpose of this thread was to find out whether it has been built in
each required environment, so there would be unlikely to be more build
fixes. With the e-mail this morning from Jim on the "How do all the
binaries get built?" thread, I believe that is the case.

GO FOR IT!

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/29/2016 09:04 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Marcus wrote:
>> Am 09/29/2016 03:26 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>>> RAT is a tool that we might even not want to use. The important thing is
>> sometimes I really don't know why someone is coming to such a statement.
>> This is one of this moments. Why shouldn't we use the RAT scan? Do you
>> want to search for broken license headers yourself? ;-)
>
> No, of course! I meant: the important thing for the release is that
> licenses are OK. RAT is a tool that we use for convenience, but it is
> not mandatory that it passes; if RAT gives warnings that are false
> positives then we are free to ignore these warnings; and the release
> will still be OK, it is not invalidated by the fact that a tool gives
> false positives. So it is not mandatory to fix this for 4.1.3, but it
> deserves attention for 4.1.4.

so, you have referred RAT to the current release but not in general.
That's OK. And sure, it's not mandatory for any release. I never meant
it this way. It's just that your wording was a bit ambigous and I've asked.

Marcus

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Marcus wrote:
> Am 09/29/2016 03:26 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>> RAT is a tool that we might even not want to use. The important thing is
> sometimes I really don't know why someone is coming to such a statement.
> This is one of this moments. Why shouldn't we use the RAT scan? Do you
> want to search for broken license headers yourself? ;-)

No, of course! I meant: the important thing for the release is that
licenses are OK. RAT is a tool that we use for convenience, but it is
not mandatory that it passes; if RAT gives warnings that are false
positives then we are free to ignore these warnings; and the release
will still be OK, it is not invalidated by the fact that a tool gives
false positives. So it is not mandatory to fix this for 4.1.3, but it
deserves attention for 4.1.4.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/29/2016 03:26 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Marcus wrote:
>> Am 09/27/2016 11:13 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>>> Possibly. But those files are generated during the build anyway, so the
>>> fact that RAT does not know about them is irrelevant.
>> Sure, but the report is not green. But IMHO it should be green when we
>> want to look at 4.1.3 as official release.
>> At the end it's just an extended excludes list.
>
> RAT is a tool that we might even not want to use. The important thing is

sometimes I really don't know why someone is coming to such a statement.
This is one of this moments. Why shouldn't we use the RAT scan? Do you
want to search for broken license headers yourself? ;-)

Sure for the 4.1.x branch there won't be any further changes that would
result in license problems. But what about trunk?

> license compatibility, and we are OK on that aspect. Though, I suggest
> that you open an issue about this and nominate it as a 4.1.4 (not 4.1.3)
> blocker.

Done. Maybe indeed a bit late for 4.1.3. I haven't seen that the exclude
list is in "main/", now I know it. ;-)

Marcus

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/27/2016 11:13 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 25/09/2016 Marcus wrote:
>>> Finally I got a AOO 4.1.3 with release options - but only en-US. I used
>>> the following varaible + value in the build script: ...
>>> LANG="de en-US fr pt ja"
>> the language option seems to be a problem with the build script:
>> Not OK:
>> --with-lang="${LANGS}"
>> OK:
>> --with-lang="de en-US fr pt ja"
>
> Note that you have LANG and LANGS above, and that LANG happens to be set
> by the system in the shell in general. The script from SVN

yes, sorry, just a typo. I've always used LANGS.

> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/devtools/build-scripts/4.1.3/
> works well for me; if it doesn't for you we can check better, but of
> course the explicit list is equivalent.

I've played with deleting the brackets {} or quotes "" but it doesn't
helped. There must be something else that is special in my setup.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/25/2016 12:03 AM, schrieb Marcus:
> Am 09/24/2016 03:51 PM, schrieb Marcus:

>>> 2 persons with the same thought in the same minute. ;-)

>>> great. I'll try to build 4.1.3 on Fedora 21 with the release options. Of
>>> course it's not the official baseline system. But maybe good enough to
>>> see if it's working.
>>
>> I get a problem with ant:
>>
>> Configure error message says the required version is >= 1.7.0.
>>
>> ant is installed with version 1.9.4. So, newer than the required 1.7.0.
>> I've also set the symlink "ant -> /usr/bin/ant" and executing configure
>> includes the "--with-ant-home=$HOME/ant" option.
>>
>> What else is needed to run configure successfully?
>
> I don't know why but after starting over and prepared the build again,
> it's now working.
>
> Finally I got a AOO 4.1.3 with release options - but only en-US. I used
> the following varaible + value in the build script:
>
> LANG="de en-US fr pt ja"
>
> OK, something for tomorrow.

the language option seems to be a problem with the build script:

Not OK:
--with-lang="${LANGS}"

OK:
--with-lang="de en-US fr pt ja"

BTW:

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/23/2016 10:18 PM, schrieb Marcus:
> Am 09/23/2016 10:12 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:

>>> @Patricia:
>>> Maybe you can tell us what your further plan is. Do you have any other
>>> fixes in mind?
>
> 2 persons with the same thought in the same minute. ;-)
>
>> No more fixes in mind, and I believe it has been built in each
>> environment, so I don't expect any more build fixes.
>>
>> Time to create a release candidate.
>
> great. I'll try to build 4.1.3 on Fedora 21 with the release options. Of
> course it's not the official baseline system. But maybe good enough to
> see if it's working.

I get a problem with ant:

Configure error message says the required version is >= 1.7.0.

ant is installed with version 1.9.4. So, newer than the required 1.7.0.
I've also set the symlink "ant -> /usr/bin/ant" and executing configure
includes the "--with-ant-home=$HOME/ant" option.

What else is needed to run configure successfully?

Thanks

Marcus

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 12:45:02PM +0200, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> >IMO providing different builds for same arch will make it difficult to
> >QA, so I will go on with the Linux 64-bit builds.
>
> Yes, if you already started uploading Linux-64 I agree this is the best
> solution.
>
> > If someone wants to
> >build on CentOS 5 32 bit and upload the binaries, please tell and do so.
>
> I haven't done it yet, but it's likely I can upload and build them by Friday
> night European time (if bandwidth allows). I'm more confident with Linux-64
> since I have plenty of machines where I can test it. But Linux-32 should
> work too. If it helps to get things ready earlier, I can thus do Linux-32.
> Just let me know.

I started uploading the Linux 32-bit packages; Windows installers with
newer VC redist come next. So the only thing missing is the source
release tars and zip.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Once built and tested, how does one upload? I'm assuming
> the prepare-download-tree.sh in aoo-devtools??

All builds have already been uploaded by Ariel for this RC. No need to
upload anything else.

I did upload a full set of Linux-64 builds to
http://home.apache.org/~pescetti/openoffice-4.1.3-dev-r1761989/ but due
to missing communication (a non-delivered notification to this list) we
are using the ones by Ariel for Linux-64 too.

prepare-download-tree.sh is just a helper that will rearrange your
builds into the right layout. It works for Linux-64, needs minimal
tweaks for other systems.

Builds (not needed now, since Ariel has already built all systems) must
indeed be uploaded through svn commit to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.3-rc1/binaries/
which is quite slow; so Ariel committed one binary at a time. I'm not
sure how it would work with svn locking if we tried to commit multiple
builds to the same dir simultaneously; possibly it will just work as
expected, no idea.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Sep 27, 2016, at 11:03 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> IMO providing different builds for same arch will make it difficult to
> QA, so I will go on with the Linux 64-bit builds. If someone wants to
> build on CentOS 5 32 bit and upload the binaries, please tell and do so.

Unless someone else picks this up (or has picked it up),
let me know and I'll start a build.

Still need insights on the upload process on how to get
these upstream (unless it's simply an svn copy to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.3-rc1/binaries/

PS: I'll be using my ASF signing key.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 03:43:40AM +0200, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 23/09/2016 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> >it might be time to start building it ;)
> >I'll start doing so on Windows, as Jim and Andrea seem to cover the
> >other platforms.
>
> Sorry for the miscommunication,

Yes, as I saw no reply to this on the weekend, I started uploading Mac
+ Windows; once finished those, I started with Linux 64-bits as I saw no
further reply.

> I see that the message where I was saying
> that http://home.apache.org/~pescetti/openoffice-4.1.3-dev-r1761989/ (full
> Linux-64 in all languages) was being uploaded reached the list, but that the
> one where I said that upload (to home; not to dist yet) was complete did not
> make it.
>
> As for speed, uploading all Linux-64 builds to home took 6-8 hours. Not
> fantastic, but not bad either, especially compared to the performance I
> remembered from dist+SVN.

I can confirm this speed issue; last weeks I uploaded Windows and macOS
builds for some bugs, and my upload speed for sftp://home.apache.org was
from two to three times what I see now on svn://dist.apache.org.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 23/09/2016 Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> it might be time to start building it ;)
> I'll start doing so on Windows, as Jim and Andrea seem to cover the
> other platforms.

Sorry for the miscommunication, I see that the message where I was
saying that
http://home.apache.org/~pescetti/openoffice-4.1.3-dev-r1761989/ (full
Linux-64 in all languages) was being uploaded reached the list, but that
the one where I said that upload (to home; not to dist yet) was complete
did not make it.

As for speed, uploading all Linux-64 builds to home took 6-8 hours. Not
fantastic, but not bad either, especially compared to the performance I
remembered from dist+SVN.

I see you are uploading Linux-64 builds right now. Unless you believe
it's faster if I upload mine, I would say that you can continue the
upload. I will still try a test upload to SVN+dist for a few languages
(in a separate dir) to evaluate performance.

As for platforms: I am happy that you provided both Windows and Mac OS X
and I would have suggested that you did this anyway. For Linux I'm quite
confident that my builds would be OK and that Jim's on Linux-32
(following the same recipe) would be OK too.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:25:19AM +0200, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> - Source revision r1761818

Isn't this time to agree that this revision will be the one we release?
Haven't seen any call from the RM, but it might be time to start
building it ;)

I'll start doing so on Windows, as Jim and Andrea seem to cover the
other platforms.

--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Sample builds (English, German, Italian) from a few hours ago -but not
> from my latest build- are at
> http://home.apache.org/~pescetti/openoffice-4.1.3-dev-r1761683/

Latest builds for all languages are now uploading (I'll do it in small
batches, not as a whole) to
http://home.apache.org/~pescetti/openoffice-4.1.3-dev-r1761989/
This is the full Linux-64 (DEBs, RPMs, language packs) stack. I'm
uploading it just as a performance test. Server performance was much
better than the one I remembered for 4.1.2, then it dropped for a while
but it's still better than it used to be. Of course home.apache.org is
not meant for hosting dev builds, but SVN ("dist") would be worse since
it's useless to store 15 GBytes of data per day in SVN, knowing that no
RC will come out of it.

> There are a few differences in the configure options, namely: ...
> 4) We were using ant 1.7.1 (from the repositories?) for 4.1.2 builds,
> see
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/devtools/build-scripts/4.1.2/unxlngix6/config.log?revision=1736814&view=markup#l1134
> ; we download and use 1.9.7 now; I haven't checked this properly yet,
> but we had a recent discussion with Kay saying that configure (which
> checks for ant >= 1.7.0) was wrong.

I confirm there is an "ant17" package in the official CentOS 5
repositories (added in CentOS 5.9). It provides ant 1.7.1. I haven't
tried building with it. If it works, this would allow us to avoid any
manually downloaded dependencies and the CentOS 5 recipe would be
completely clean.

> 5) We are now explicitly passing --without-stlport which looks good
> since (if I recall correctly) this was the default anyway.

Confirmed. I've checked the configure script and indeed --with-stlport
is no longer supported. So --without-stlport is the default (and
actually the only possible option).

> 6) We are now passing --without-junit ; I'm still not completely clear
> if this makes any difference in our case.

It does make a difference at build time, and in 4.1.2 we had JUnit 4:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/devtools/build-scripts/4.1.2/unxlngix6/config.log?revision=1736814&view=markup#l1165
; though, it may well be possible that this only affect build-time tests
and it does not affect the final build. In this case, we can do without
JUnit 4 (which is not provided by any CentOS packages).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> 1. My current policy for release blocker is to grant it immediately if
> it seems obvious to me that a fix is needed to build 4.1.3. I will also
> do so based on prior security@ discussion. Otherwise, I'll ask for input
> on dev@ before deciding.

OK. 4.1.4 is a good fallback solution for important but not critical
bugs anyway.

> 2. I would like to get a list of environments in which 4.1.3 has been
> successfully built. I'll announce time to build a release candidate when
> it builds in the required environments.

I've built AOO413 on Linux-64 with the following details:
- CentOS 5 VM as described in
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step#CentOS_5
- Source revision r1761818
- Real source revision r1761381 (both are obtained using "svn info"; the
latter is the one that matters, as the former increases for any commit
in any ASF project)
- Build scripts as per
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/devtools/build-scripts/4.1.3/unxlngix6/

Sample builds (English, German, Italian) from a few hours ago -but not
from my latest build- are at
http://home.apache.org/~pescetti/openoffice-4.1.3-dev-r1761683/

There are a few differences in the configure options, namely:

1) Build Version is a bit richer in
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step#Configure
but I went for the more compact one from the 4.1.2 scripts

2) Language list is much longer in the 4.1.2 scripts and I maintained
that one - even though I usually build with fewer languages

3) Package format does not have "installed" in the 4.1.2 scripts, which
looks OK (we only ship RPM+DEB)

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 09/21/2016 10:49 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> 1. My current policy for release blocker is to grant it immediately if
> it seems obvious to me that a fix is needed to build 4.1.3. I will also
> do so based on prior security@ discussion. Otherwise, I'll ask for input
> on dev@ before deciding.
>
> 2. I would like to get a list of environments in which 4.1.3 has been
> successfully built. I'll announce time to build a release candidate when
> it builds in the required environments.

a few days ago I've done a build on Fedora 21. Not the baseline system
and not with the releae configure options.

However, I'll update to the newest SVN changes, try the release options
and see what's coming out of the build.

Marcus

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Oliver Brinzing <Ol...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

> 2. I would like to get a list of environments in which 4.1.3 has been successfully built. I'll
> announce time to build a release candidate when it builds in the required environments.

just finished an aoo413 debug build with revision 1761976 on win7.
no build breaks so far ;-)

will try a product build now...

Oliver

./configure \
--with-build-version="$(date +"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S %z (%a, %d %b %Y)")" \
--with-vendor="AOO Debug Build" \
--with-dmake-url="http://sourceforge.net/projects/oooextras.mirror/files/dmake-4.12.tar.bz2" \
--with-ant-home="/cygdrive/c/build/ant" \
--with-mozilla-build="/cygdrive/c/build/mozilla-build" \
--with-frame-home="/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v7.0" \
--with-psdk-home="/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v7.0" \
--with-midl-path="/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft SDKs/Windows/v7.0/bin" \
--with-cl-home="/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC"  \
--with-mspdb-path="/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/Common7/IDE" \
--with-asm-home="/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0/VC/bin" \
--with-csc-path="/cygdrive/c/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v3.5" \
--with-jdk-home="/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Java/jdk1.7.0"  \
--with-nsis-path="/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/NSIS/Unicode" \
--with-directx-home="/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)" \
--with-atl-include-dir="/cygdrive/c/WinDDK/7600.16385.1/inc/atl71" \
--with-atl-lib-dir="/cygdrive/c/WinDDK/7600.16385.1/lib/ATL/i386" \
--with-mfc-include-dir="/cygdrive/c/WinDDK/7600.16385.1/inc/mfc42" \
--with-mfc-lib-dir="/cygdrive/c/WinDDK/7600.16385.1/lib/Mfc/i386" \
--enable-pch \
--with-package-format="installed msi" \
--enable-win-x64-shellext \
--enable-category-b \
--enable-bundled-dictionaries \
--with-lang="de" \
--without-stlport \
--without-junit \
--enable-verbose \
--disable-odk \
--without-fonts \
--disable-online-update \
--disable-strip-solver \
--enable-symbols \
--enable-dbgutil \
--enable-crashdump \
--enable-debug

Re: 4.1.3 building

Posted by Oliver Brinzing <Ol...@gmx.de>.
> 2. I would like to get a list of environments in which 4.1.3 has been successfully built. I'll
> announce time to build a release candidate when it builds in the required environments.

aoo413 product build with revision 1761976 on win7 successful finished.

btw.: "activex" module also builds fine while same build configuration fails on trunk

see issue
https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=126996
windows build breaks in module extensions - activex

Oliver