Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/14 18:18:43 UTC

Release candidate for ODE 1.3.5

Hi ODEers,

I've cut and uploaded the release candidate for Apache ODE 1.3.5 today.
The artifacts are available at Apache's Nexus instance in a staging
repository [1].

The main artifacts are:
  WAR distro: [2]
  JBI distro: [3]

We also have bundles for ServiceMix 4.3, just add [1] to your
repositories list and follow [4]. We provide a feature, which contains
all provided bundles (ODE itself, support for different DB setups, Karaf
shell commands, an HTTP binding for the PMAPI and two examples).

The full list of resolved issues can be found at [5]. It is mainly a
maintenance release, fixes a severe performance issue in our XPath 2.0
expression processing, some minor issues and is aims at being ready for
the upcoming SMX release.

I'd like to encourage you to give the RC a spin and test it thoroughly.
Please let me know when I can expect your test results (please, not more
than 1-2 weeks) so that I can wait accordingly before I start the vote.

Thanks,
  Tammo

[1] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheode-031/
[2]
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheode-031/org/apache/ode/apache-ode-war/1.3.5/
[3]
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheode-031/org/apache/ode/apache-ode-war/1.3.5/
[4] http://ode.apache.org/smx4-osgi-deployment.html
[5]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310270&styleName=Text&version=12314243

--
Tammo van Lessen - http://www.taval.de

Re: Release candidate for ODE 1.3.5

Posted by Kurt Westerfeld <kw...@novell.com>.
I think also including the "examples" within the ode feature bundle by default might be a bad idea.  I know that the fuse team altered this slightly to remove those by default.  It might make more sense to have a "ode-examples" feature you install

>>> "Kurt Westerfeld" <kw...@novell.com> 1/14/2011 1:33 PM >>>
I did some testing, and I got through our automated integration test, which involves 5 different BPEL process deployments, one of which is marked persistent.

Here's some notes:

- I think there's a problem with the maven https handling for the maven repo, as I tried to manually edit the $smx/etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.repositories setting to add the URL on [1].  This didn't work and resulted in a SAXParseException, which I couldn't figure out.  I debugged, gave up and moved on.  I figure the final repo will work so it's not related to my testing concerns.

- I pulled the artifacts I knew were needed and installed them to the "system" repo,  which are listed here:

   org/apache/ode/ode-jbi-bundle/1.3.5/ode-jbi-bundle-1.3.5.jar
   org/apache/ode/ode-jbi-karaf/1.3.5/ode-jbi-karaf-1.3.5-features.xml
   org/apache/ode/ode-jbi-karaf-commands/1.3.5/ode-jbi-karaf-commands-1.3.5.jar
   org/apache/ode/ode-jbi-karaf-pmapi-httpbinding/1.3.5/ode-jbi-karaf-pmapi-httpbinding-1.3.5.jar
   org/apache/ode/examples/hello-world-bundle/1.3.5/helloworld-bundle-1.3.5.jar
   org/apache/ode/examples/ping-pong-bundle/1.3.5/ping-pong-bundle-1.3.5.jar
- I altered the distributed version of the ODE feature bundle that fuse distributes by altering the feature bundle in $smx/etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg

- after this, features:install ode works

- The only change I had to make to our code is the declaration of a "Require-Bundle" and "Fragment-Host" in two component manifests we have, which were used to integrate ODE to two components we need.  The 1.3.4 release used a bundle symbolic name of "ode-jbi-bundle" and the new one is "org.apache.ode.ode-jbi-bundle".  We use the Fragment-Host to attach code to ODE to allow us to set the ode-jbi.messageMapper to our custom message mapper.  I realize that the new bundle symbolic name is more "correct" as it is well-qualified, but it would have been a non-code upgrade had the symbolic name not changed.  As it is, it's an easy build change for us.

- I tested the pmapi http binding by doing a features:install ode-pmapi-httpbinding.  The URL hosted at http://localhost:8193/ode/pmapi/ProcessManagementService?wsdl only partially works, as the version of Axiom on the Servicemix distro has OSGi problems with javax.xml.stream, which are fixable by the workaround documented in the SMX 4 deployment instructions.

Our integration tests pass without any failures, which makes me very happy.

Good job!

Posted by Kurt Westerfeld <kw...@novell.com>.

Posted by "Nowakowski, Mateusz" <Ma...@sabre-holdings.com>.
Hi,

In a nutshell ODE 1.3.5 RC seems ok.
Please go ahead and release!

Thank you very much!

It seems that new ODE requires slightly more PermGen size than the previous one.

We had a strange waves of FullGC, but we were at the edge of the PermGen limit, so the app could release some memory from time to time from PermGen space, so the app had strange hiccups.

The PermGen for our app went to 86,5 MB, so setting:
-XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m
seems safe.

Mateusz Nowakowski

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.