Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2010/07/14 13:55:21 UTC

splitted buildbot logs

Currently, the buildbot "testlog" outputs are quite large (12MB).

When a test fails, it could be more convenient for the developer inspecting the
buildbot log if the output was in smaller files (so we don't have to grep for
the /^FAIL/ inside a 12MB file *in the browser*).

Thus: http://pastebin.ca/1900435

What do you think about doing something like this in our buildbot instance?

Re: splitted buildbot logs

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote on Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 00:35:39 +0300:
> Hyrum K. Wright wrote on Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 15:28:57 +0100:
> > I think that ideally, one could click on a link, and see something like:
> >
> > [[[
> > Failed tests:
> > authz_test-1
> > basic_test-17
> > merge_test-582
> >
> > Complete logs:
> > authz_tests
> > basic_tests
> > copy_tests
> > ]]]
> >

> Does buildbot support a separate "failed tests" section?

Never mind; we could have a script copy the logs of the failed tests from the
big tests.log into a separate failed-tests.log.  i.e., we'd have "stdio",
"testlog", and "testlog.fails-only" links.

(This approach is also better than the patch posted upthread.)

How to make this live?  Is this something for each slave to configure for itself?

Daniel

Re: splitted buildbot logs

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote on Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 15:28:57 +0100:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> > Currently, the buildbot "testlog" outputs are quite large (12MB).
> >
> > When a test fails, it could be more convenient for the developer inspecting the
> > buildbot log if the output was in smaller files (so we don't have to grep for
> > the /^FAIL/ inside a 12MB file *in the browser*).
> >
> > Thus: http://pastebin.ca/1900435
> >
> > What do you think about doing something like this in our buildbot instance?
>
> Would this need to be deployed to each buildslave, or would it live on
> the server?

I don't know enough about the buildbot config to tell.

Re: splitted buildbot logs

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Hyrum K. Wright
<hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
>> Currently, the buildbot "testlog" outputs are quite large (12MB).
>>
>> When a test fails, it could be more convenient for the developer inspecting the
>> buildbot log if the output was in smaller files (so we don't have to grep for
>> the /^FAIL/ inside a 12MB file *in the browser*).
>>
>> Thus: http://pastebin.ca/1900435
>>
>> What do you think about doing something like this in our buildbot instance?
>
> Would this need to be deployed to each buildslave, or would it live on
> the server?
>
> I think that ideally, one could click on a link, and see something like:
>
> [[[
> Failed tests:
> authz_test-1
> basic_test-17
> merge_test-582
>
> Complete logs:
> authz_tests
> basic_tests
> copy_tests
> ]]]
>
> Each of the lines (aside from the section headings) would be
> clickable, linking to respective test log output.  We could even
> colorize the output in some way.
>
> Does buildbot support anything other than plain text for the log file link?

We had this for the Hudson builds, as well as timing trends.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: splitted buildbot logs

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> Bert Huijben wrote on Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 00:31:42 +0200:
>> (Should we add the XFail output to the failure log?)
>>

> Currently it does just FAIL and XPASS, rationale being that XFail is not an
> exceptional condition (we have some tests XFail for years).

+1

Re: splitted buildbot logs

Posted by 'Daniel Shahaf' <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Bert Huijben wrote on Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 00:31:42 +0200:

You persuaded me :)  r964349.

Now just need to make buildbot upload the fails.log file too.

Re: splitted buildbot logs

Posted by 'Daniel Shahaf' <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

RE: splitted buildbot logs

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@vmoo.com>.