Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2002/08/06 22:40:57 UTC

[ANN] Cocoon Documentation Wiki

Hi all,

due to some very pleasant circumstances, a new and non-empty Cocoon Wiki
is now hosted at http://outerthought.net/wiki/. Most of its current
content has been donated by Leigh Dodds of xml.com and eclectic fame,
but as Wikis go, they should be taken care after by a community.

So if everybody who has been complaining about the difficulties doing
doco work using just email and CVS adds a page to our Cocoon
Documentation Wiki, I'll soon have to buy another server ;-)

I don't have a name yet for it, and Cocoon Documentation Wiki is kind of
  long, so how about CocoDocoWiki? It sure fits the typical nonsensical
naming conventions from WikiWikiWorld.

Politically incorrect, this Wiki is powered by JSPWiki
(http://www.ecyrd.com/JSPWiki/). Its pages however are stored in plain
text (WikiML) files, and we will unvestigate how we can easily migrate
documentation from WikiML to Apache/Forrest xdoc format.

cocoon-users and cocoon-dev'ers on this list: should I cross-post?

Have fun,

</Steven>

Re: [ANN] Cocoon Documentation Wiki

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Tuesday 06 August 2002 22:40, Steven Noels wrote:
> due to some very pleasant circumstances, a new and non-empty Cocoon Wiki
> is now hosted at http://outerthought.net/wiki/.

yoooh-hooh! This is great, thanks for hosting this!

> I don't have a name yet for it, and Cocoon Documentation Wiki is kind of
>   long, so how about CocoDocoWiki?

yes, sounds very WikiNameConventionsConform.

-- BertrandDelacretazAtCodeconsultDotCh

Re: copyright notice (was: Re: [ANN] Cocoon Documentation Wiki)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 05:53  AM, Steven Noels wrote:
>
>> Is this OK: http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=License ?
>

> IMHO, No.
>
> -- Diana

ok - will fix

</Steven>

copyright notice (was: Re: [ANN] Cocoon Documentation Wiki)

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 05:53  AM, Steven Noels wrote:

> Is this OK: http://outerthought.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=License ?

IMHO, No.

Technically, you need a copyright *notice*, preferably at the bottom of
each page, similar to the web site, e.g.
   Copyright © 1999-2002 The Apache Software Foundation. All Rights
Reserved.

It always helps to add a description/warning, as you have done. However,
I would hesitate to craft something new, given the lack of direction
from ASF on this issue and upcoming changes to the license (as discussed
earlier on cocoon-dev). I would simply go by the rules governing
committers, as indicated here:
   http://jakarta.apache.org/site/agreement.html

Perhaps a link to this page is sufficient. In this agreement you'll find
the following:

<snip>
2. You hereby grant to the Foundation a non-exclusive, irrevocable,
worldwide, no-charge, transferable copyright license to use, execute,
prepare derivative works of, and distribute (internally and externally,
in object code and, if included in your Contributions, source code form)
your Contributions. Except for the rights granted to the Foundation in
this paragraph, You reserve all right, title and interest in and to your
Contributions.
</snip>

In other words, a doc contribution gives the ASF a free license to
use/revise/distribute/display the contribution. Authors still retain
rights to use/revise/distribute/display their works as well.
Contributing to CocoonWiki (or directly to the Cocoon project via
patches) doesn't prevent a contributor from using their own work
elsewhere for other purposes.

-- Diana

Re: [ANN] Cocoon Documentation Wiki

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Diana Shannon wrote:
>

>> On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 12:04  AM, David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>> I think that we should set up some guidance principles
>>> on the About page. Otherwise i foresee a lot of un-necessary
>>> duplication of content and difficulty with merging content
>>> back into xdocs.
>>

>> Why don't we simply transform all current xdocs to a wiki grammar and
>> copy them to the wiki and let them live there.
>

> Yeah, why don't we start documenting wiki instead of Cocoon :-P
>
> Seriously, Wiki is for creating docs, not patching them after they are
> published.
> Let's start seeing how well wiki works with new docs, we can take such
> big decisions only when there is evident need for it.

+100, see my mail on cocoon-dev

>> I'd also break up the FAQ sets into individual FAQ pages. That way at
>> least the existing structure of some of the better docs might serve as
>> "shining" examples for others. Is there a way, Steven, to batch add
>> these transformed files to the wiki without iterating through the
>> online form?
>>
>> Also, let's add some info on the wiki, to make it clear that that
>> Apache has a license to use/revise/distribute the result, ok? In other
>> words, that this content is not copyrighted by outerthought...
>

> +1

will do today, for sure

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Diana Shannon wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 12:04  AM, David Crossley wrote:
>
>> I think that we should set up some guidance principles
>> on the About page. Otherwise i foresee a lot of un-necessary
>> duplication of content and difficulty with merging content
>> back into xdocs.
>

> Why don't we simply transform all current xdocs to a wiki grammar and
> copy them to the wiki and let them live there.

Yeah, why don't we start documenting wiki instead of Cocoon :-P

Seriously, Wiki is for creating docs, not patching them after they are
published.
Let's start seeing how well wiki works with new docs, we can take such
big decisions only when there is evident need for it.

> I'd also break up the FAQ
> sets into individual FAQ pages. That way at least the existing structure
> of some of the better docs might serve as "shining" examples for others.
> Is there a way, Steven, to batch add these transformed files to the wiki
> without iterating through the online form?
>
> Also, let's add some info on the wiki, to make it clear that that Apache
> has a license to use/revise/distribute the result, ok? In other words,
> that this content is not copyrighted by outerthought...

+1

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [ANN] Cocoon Documentation Wiki

Posted by Diana Shannon <sh...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 12:04  AM, David Crossley wrote:

> I think that we should set up some guidance principles
> on the About page. Otherwise i foresee a lot of un-necessary
> duplication of content and difficulty with merging content
> back into xdocs.

Why don't we simply transform all current xdocs to a wiki grammar and
copy them to the wiki and let them live there. I'd also break up the FAQ

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> due to some very pleasant circumstances, a new and non-empty Cocoon Wiki
> is now hosted at http://outerthought.net/wiki/. Most of its current
> content has been donated by Leigh Dodds of xml.com and eclectic fame,
> but as Wikis go, they should be taken care after by a community.
>
> So if everybody who has been complaining about the difficulties doing
> doco work using just email and CVS adds a page to our Cocoon
> Documentation Wiki, I'll soon have to buy another server ;-)
>
> I don't have a name yet for it, and Cocoon Documentation Wiki is kind of
>   long, so how about CocoDocoWiki? It sure fits the typical nonsensical
> naming conventions from WikiWikiWorld.
>
> Politically incorrect, this Wiki is powered by JSPWiki
> (http://www.ecyrd.com/JSPWiki/). Its pages however are stored in plain
> text (WikiML) files, and we will investigate how we can easily migrate
> documentation from WikiML to Apache/Forrest xdoc format.
>
> cocoon-users and cocoon-dev'ers on this list: should I cross-post?

Preferably encourage them to come here and discuss it
on cocoon-docs.

CocoDocoWiki is excellent. I played in the sandbox and then
tweaked a few documents. It was so easy.

I think that we should set up some guidance principles
on the About page. Otherwise i foresee a lot of un-necessary
duplication of content and difficulty with merging content
back into xdocs.
--David

Re: [ANN] Cocoon Documentation Wiki

Posted by Tony Collen <tc...@hist.umn.edu>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> due to some very pleasant circumstances, a new and non-empty Cocoon
> Wiki is now hosted at http://outerthought.net/wiki/. Most of its
> current content has been donated by Leigh Dodds of xml.com and
> eclectic fame, but as Wikis go, they should be taken care after by a
> community.
>
> So if everybody who has been complaining about the difficulties doing
> doco work using just email and CVS adds a page to our Cocoon
> Documentation Wiki, I'll soon have to buy another server ;-)
>
> I don't have a name yet for it, and Cocoon Documentation Wiki is kind
> of  long, so how about CocoDocoWiki? It sure fits the typical
> nonsensical naming conventions from WikiWikiWorld.
>
> Politically incorrect, this Wiki is powered by JSPWiki
> (http://www.ecyrd.com/JSPWiki/). Its pages however are stored in plain
> text (WikiML) files, and we will unvestigate how we can easily migrate
> documentation from WikiML to Apache/Forrest xdoc format.
>
> cocoon-users and cocoon-dev'ers on this list: should I cross-post?

Looks good. go for it!

Tony