Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/14 22:17:20 UTC

git: unsafe repository error - has git version changed?

Now seeing this error:

fatal: unsafe repository ('/x1/srv/whimsy' is owned by someone else)
To add an exception for this directory, call:

        git config --global --add safe.directory /x1/srv/whimsy

It looks like this is caused by running git status on the /srv/whimsy
checkout (which is owned and updated by root).

I guess we can update that setting, but I wonder why it suddenly
started happening?

Sebb

Re: git: unsafe repository error - has git version changed?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 at 23:17, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now seeing this error:
>
> fatal: unsafe repository ('/x1/srv/whimsy' is owned by someone else)
> To add an exception for this directory, call:
>
>         git config --global --add safe.directory /x1/srv/whimsy
>
> It looks like this is caused by running git status on the /srv/whimsy
> checkout (which is owned and updated by root).
>
> I guess we can update that setting, but I wonder why it suddenly
> started happening?

I've updated the setting.
It was a bit tricky, as www-data does not own its home directory.
I had already run the command in my login. This created the .gitconfig
file which I copied to the www-data home dir.
Seems to have fixed things.