Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Jiří Mareš <Ji...@svt.cz> on 2005/01/26 10:08:37 UTC

DBCP: DBCPConnectionProvider in Hibernate

Hi,

I have big problem with the DBCP connection provider for Hibernate, because the provider is not propagating the value of
the parameter "hibernate.dbcp.accessToUnderlyingConnectionAllowed" into the pool?

--
Jiří Mareš (mailto:Jiri.Mares@svt.cz)
ČSAD SVT Praha, s.r.o. (http://www.svt.cz)

Re: DBCP: DBCPConnectionProvider in Hibernate

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.
I have implemented my own DBCPConnectionProvider as an example how to
integrate DBCP with Hibernate. It supports all DBCP features. You can
find the source here:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/DBCP/Hibernate

It is not part of the official Apache DBCP release but it had some
independent testing. Let me know it works for you.

-- Dirk

Posted by Jiří Mareš <Ji...@svt.cz>.
Just for inspiration, here is fragment of my new configure method:

// Finally, we create the PoolingDriver itself,
// passing in the object pool we created.
ds = new PoolingDataSource(connectionPool);

// ---- HERE BEGINS MY CODE ----
if (props.getProperty("hibernate.dbcp.accessToUnderlyingConnectionAllowed") != null) {
    // We'll set up the accessToUnderlyingConnectionAllowed property
    boolean allows = PropertiesHelper.getBoolean("hibernate.dbcp.accessToUnderlyingConnectionAllowed", props, false);
    if (allows) {
       log.info("DBCP allows access to underlying connection");
    } else {
       log.info("DBCP doesn't allow access to underlying connection");
    }
    ((PoolingDataSource) ds).setAccessToUnderlyingConnectionAllowed(allows);
}
// ---- HERE ENDS MY CODE ----

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
Hibernate has officially deprecated support for DBCP and will remove it in
a future release.  They suggest using C3P0 or Proxool instead.  C3P0 has
worked great for me.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/c3p0
http://proxool.sourceforge.net/

David