Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/30 21:04:52 UTC

WURFL

Guys,

An interesting side-effect of my recent codemotion talk on Friday was, an
Italian employee of the WURFL company scientiamobile also attended it. He
stayed "in the closet" when I asked who knows WURFL during the talk, but
had a brief chat with me after it.

He did not raise any concerns or issues, mainly asked which WURFL version
had been used to compare memory usage (the last one that was still Open
Source (1.3.1, mentioned in the slides, maybe good to add a note what
year/state that was)

I know, one or the other kept mentioning some great new benchmarks against
the Classifier/Client either under Java or .NET. If there is a transparent
and sustainable way to run these benchmarks, why not publish the test code,
too (there's at least one JIRA ticket for benchmarks also by Volkan btw:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DMAP-106) We may not be able to
compare commercial products but showing some stats is also a good way to
market the project

Another interesting thing the WURFL attendee said is, that they drastically
rethink their pricing policy and (maybe similar to a few others including
51degrees.mobi or NetBiscuits) also offer a FREE entry level subscription.
Guess DeviceMap or OpenDDR were not the only ones to influence such a move,
but I guess we have at least some share in it, despite being a relatively
small project and team.

Werner