Posted to apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> on 2003/12/01 18:45:38 UTC

goals for 2.03-dev?

Since 2.02-dev seems to be free of major problems,
perhaps we should add a few goals for 2.03-dev that
will lead to a stable release soon afterward.
I'd personally like to see the perl-glue ported
to CGI in 2.03-dev, all C/Perl APIs documented, and
better code coverage for the tests.

I'm out of town for the rest of this week, but
I've been using the time to try out the Win32 build
with current cvs.  The first thing I noticed with apreq
is that the --without-perl option for win32/Configure.pl
should probably be renamed --disable-perl-glue to keep
it in sync with the Unix ./configure build.  Secondly,
the library names libapr.dll and libaprutil.dll are hard-coded
into the Win32 Makefiles.  IMO they should use the Win32 ports
of ap[ru]-config instead (ie apr's current cvs builds
libapr-1.dll now). The httpd version checks should also
be relaxed to qr{Apache/2\.\d} instead of qr{Apache/2\.0}.

Otherwise apreq-2 builds fine on Win32 against httpd's
current-cvs.  I don't have mp2 installed yet, so I had
a problem running the env/t tests: there's no reason
TEST.PL needs to use Apache2 or Apache::Build.  After
replacing those lines with

  use constant WIN32 => $^O =~ /Win32/;

the env/ tests ran just fine.

Sorry I don't have patches available for any of this-
still trying to get comfortable on Win32.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: goals for 2.03-dev?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> I'm out of town for the rest of this week, but
> I've been using the time to try out the Win32 build
> with current cvs.  The first thing I noticed with apreq
> is that the --without-perl option for win32/Configure.pl
> should probably be renamed --disable-perl-glue to keep
> it in sync with the Unix ./configure build.  Secondly,
> the library names libapr.dll and libaprutil.dll are hard-coded
> into the Win32 Makefiles.  IMO they should use the Win32 ports
> of ap[ru]-config instead (ie apr's current cvs builds
> libapr-1.dll now). The httpd version checks should also
> be relaxed to qr{Apache/2\.\d} instead of qr{Apache/2\.0}.

I've just committed some changes to do all those things:
- use --disable-perl-glue, rather than --without-perl
- allow Apache/2.\d
- use the (apr|apu)-config utilties to get the names
of the libraries, both for the C side of things and the
Perl glue. This required some changes in the
(apr|apu)-config scripts, to record the library names - you
can get the newer version of these by deleting
    C:\Path\to\Apache2\bin\apxs.bat
and rerunning 'perl Makefile.PL' in httpd-apreq-2.

All of these changes were Win32-specific, except the
last one, which affected xsbuilder.pl - I used
File::Basename, and also got rid of an extra variable
that on Unix was redundant and is now no longer needed
on Win32.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: goals for 2.03-dev?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Sven Geisler wrote:
>

>>I'd like to have parts of CGI ported to apreq. I like to
>>use CGI to generate HTML. I think using CGI in
>>mod_perl/apreq CGI consumes to much memory. Also a lot of
>>the code of CGI can be implemented in C with less memory
>>usage. May be something like Apache::CGI...
>

> Others may have different opinions, but I'd feel that adding
> in html shortcuts like this should be decoupled from the
> apreq library ...

seconded. apreq has nothing to do with generating output and probably never
will. it's designed to exclusively handle HTTP input.

>>The second suggestion is to handle different encodings.
>>Apreq should support the UTF-8 flag of Perl. This will
>>help on unicode input from browsers.
>

> Are you thinking about the perl glue? mod_perl 2 already
> handles utf-8 - it would be good to write some tests to
> see how this fares with Apache::Request et al.

mod_perl 2 doesn't do anything special to handle utf8, it just uses PerlIO (if
available) if you don't call $r->read()/$r->print() directly, which handles
utf-8 if you tell it to.

It'd be nice to start adding Apache::Request tests to mp2 tests suite too
(under modules/) like we have for CGI.pm. It'd be nice if we could arrange to
maintain one source of these tests (e.g. in apreq) and then sync them with mp2
test suite. On the other hand we really want just a few basic A-R tests in the
mp2 test suite, and leave the thorough testinig to apreq.

Re: goals for 2.03-dev?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Re: goals for 2.03-dev?

Posted by Sven Geisler <sg...@aeccom.com>.
Hi,

I'd like to have parts of CGI ported to apreq.
I like to use CGI to generate HTML.
I think using CGI in mod_perl/apreq CGI consumes to much memory.
Also a lot of the code of CGI can be implemented in C with less memory
usage. May be something like Apache::CGI...

The second suggestion is to handle different encodings.
Apreq should support the UTF-8 flag of Perl.
This will help on unicode input from browsers.

Regards
Sven.

--
Sven Geisler <sg...@aeccom.com>
AEC/communications GmbH

Re: goals for 2.03-dev?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Re: goals for 2.03-dev?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:
[...]
> I don't have mp2 installed yet, so I had
> a problem running the env/t tests: there's no reason
> TEST.PL needs to use Apache2 or Apache::Build.

Right, Apache::Test will automatically prepend 'require Apache2' to the top of
the autogenerated t/TEST if mp2 is used.