Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2016/03/25 18:10:01 UTC

[RESULT] Adopt Java8 as Baseline for 1.10 on master Branch

On 2016-03-22, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> * create a branch 1.9.x that we use for Java5 compatible maintenance
>   releases - with Jenkins Matrix Builds, of course.

> * change the version number of the master branch to 1.10.0alpha
>   (-SNAPSHOT, whatever) and make Java8 the new baseline for that - with
>   Gump and Jenkins Matrix Builds for Java8 (and 9 once it becomes
>   available).

With +1s by Jan, Dominique and my own implied one - and no -1s, the vote
has passed.

Stefan

Re: [RESULT] Adopt Java8 as Baseline for 1.10 on master Branch

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-03-26, Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:

> * create a branch 1.9.x that we use for Java5 compatible maintenance
>   releases
> * create Jenkins Matrix Build: win/linux java5-8
> * change the version number of the master branch to 1.10.0alpha
>   (-SNAPSHOT, whatever) and make Java8 the new baseline for that
> * change current Jenkins Matrix Job to use: win/linux + java8+9 (if
> available)
> * update Gump job to use Java8+Ant1.10.x
> * update faq#javaversion
> * maybe add a note on a prominent place?

all of them should have been done already.

> * create Gump Job Java5+Ant1.9.x

Hasn't been done since Gump runs on Java8 only.

Cheers

        Stefan

AW: [RESULT] Adopt Java8 as Baseline for 1.10 on master Branch

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-03-26, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> The Java8 build on Windows fails. It always did but was disabled, the
> comment was "Java8 cannot be installed on Windows"

This one is running right now - OpenJDK isn't available but Oracle JDK
is. The trick was to use "latest1.8" rather than "jdk 1.8". Oh my.

I'll make a similar change to the 1.9.x Jenkins build.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-03-25, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On 2016-03-22, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> * create a branch 1.9.x that we use for Java5 compatible maintenance
>>   releases - with Jenkins Matrix Builds, of course.

Done.

https://builds.apache.org/job/Ant-Build-Matrix-1.9.x/

>> * change the version number of the master branch to 1.10.0alpha
>>   (-SNAPSHOT, whatever) and make Java8 the new baseline for that -
>>   with
>>   Gump and Jenkins Matrix Builds for Java8 (and 9 once it becomes
>>   available).

Mostly done.

https://builds.apache.org/job/Ant-Build-Matrix-master/

The Java8 build on Windows fails. It always did but was disabled, the
comment was "Java8 cannot be installed on Windows" - looking through the
logs I can see Java8 has been installed (or claimed to have been
installed) but the build fails with "The system cannot find the path
specified" and I'm led to believe javac isn't found.

https://builds.apache.org/job/Ant-Build-Matrix-master/jdk=jdk-1.8.0,label=Windows/831/console

I'll try to debug this - since we really do want Windows builds - but
any help is very much appreciated.

Stefan