Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ha...@t-online.de on 2011/10/16 09:13:23 UTC

Re: Recieving email from aol or yahoo or hotmail, that is not addressed to me personally.

>> I've noticed a trend recently where I'm getting emails sent to me from
>> either an aol or yahoo or hotmail account.  But the email has a "to"
>> address to some other account that is not mine.
>>
>> First off I'm paul@topguncomputers.com.   I also run the postfix servers.
>>
>> Usually my spam score is about 1.3-2.0.  This actually hit a higher
>> score.   The body of the emails are always scrambled with some url in
>> the middle.
>>
>> Is there any way of blocking emails sent to me that are not really
>> addressed to me.  I've looked through the postfix docs, but can't find
>> anything.

Hi Paul,

I have done it but it took me three months to get all the exceptions ... such as my
tax advisor's bi-monthly newsletter sent to 'undisclosed recipients'. This guy could even
have used an aol account.
One thing that I consider a good stopping criterion is mail sent from one freemailer,
with a reply-to pointing at a different one

Wolfgang

Re: Recieving email from aol or yahoo or hotmail, that is not addressed to me personally.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 05:12:59 -0700
Paul Cabot wrote:

> The freemailer to freemailer idea is good.    Chances are that is
> more likely to be spam.

It's separate freemail "from" and "reply-to" that's a good indicator,
not "from" and "to". In fraud spams they commonly use a different
account for replies.

Re: Recieving email from aol or yahoo or hotmail, that is not addressed to me personally.

Posted by Paul Cabot <pa...@topguncomputers.com>.