Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by logos <55...@qq.com> on 2020/10/21 02:49:27 UTC

Skywalking Netty Plugin Issue

Dear SkyWalking masters:
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; I want to trace requests processed by Netty, but there is no a official plugin in the Skywalking binary package. Does the team have a plan to develop this plugin?&nbsp;
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Basically ,Netty has to two thread pools for EventLoops and workers. I guessed that it is difficult to trace messages between to thread pools, so that there is no a suirtable plugin for this famous http component,is that right?
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Hope to your reply,thank you very much.

Re: Skywalking Netty Plugin Issue

Posted by kezhenxu94 <ke...@163.com>.
Not exactly, the critical reason why we don’t have such plugin for Netty is that, Netty is rather fundamental that it uses TCP protocol, but we need something like headers/metadata/attachment to propagate the tracing context seamlessly without affecting either side of client and server if any of them doesn’t install SkyWalking agent, which TCP protocol doesn’t have.

Posted by kezhenxu94 <ke...@163.com>.
Yes of course, Netty has some built-in protocols, HTTP is one of them that we can traced, the others are something like Redis, WebSocket, etc.

But in reality, users usually use a dedicated framework for those protocols, for example, SpringMVC for HTTP, Jedis for Redis, and Netty-SocketIO, all these frameworks are supported by SkyWalking.

So there is no such plugin like netty-http-plugin, netty-redis-plugin in SkyWalking repo, because there is no user has this kind of scenario and they didn’t contribute these plugins to the community, if you have this kind of use case, we’re welcome to accept this kind of plugins.

Thanks.

kezhenxu94