Posted to general@xml.apache.org by ne...@ca.ibm.com on 2002/08/28 22:47:46 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.1.0 is now available

Hello all,

The Xerces-J team is pleased to announce the availability
of Xerces-J 2.1.0.  While there have been some relatively minor changes
to the Xerces Native Interface (as documented below), this release
has focused primarily on filling out gaps in function--such as in the
experimental DOM level 3 support--and on bug and performance fixes.

The release can be downloaded from http://xml.apache.org/dists/xerces-j.

The detailed list of changes between this and the prior Xerces-J release
are as follows:

- Added xni.XMLDocumentHandler.setDocumentSource/getDocumentSource
    and XMLDocumentSource.getDocumentHandler methods to allow to
    modify Xerces pipeline dynamically.
- when the new DOM document is used, element/attribute nodes can be
    casted to Element/AttributePSVI interfaces to retrieve PSVI
    properties.
- Provide access to PSVI via SAX using
    org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.psvi.PSVIProvider interface.
- Provided a way to convert preparsed schema grammars to XSModels.
- Message localization changes.
- Send all element PSVI properties on endElement calls, so that the
    application doesn't need to stack them when startElement is called.
- Made it possible to build a Schema Datatype jar file. Now it can be
    used as a standalone data type library.
- avoid using exceptions to determine whether an array needs to be resized.
- avoid adding the commonly used XML symbols to the symbol table again and again.
- improve scanning speed by skipping end tag names and using proper
    input buffer size.
- Applied fixes to Xerces's regular expression support to address a
    number of bugs reported by users.
- Provide implementation for DOM Level 3 DOMBuilderFilter and DOMWriterFilter.
- Applied fixes to JAXP, SAX and internal object factory code so that
    it behaves correctly in environments where AccessControllers are being used.
    These fixes make it no longer possible to compile Xerces under JDK 1.1.8.
- Reorganize the code again to allow to build Xerces with DOM Level 3
    support by modifying the build.xml to replace import statements
    in the source code.
- Changed various parts of Xerces's implementation so that it is now
    statically immutable.
- Reorganized identity constraint support to improve both conformance
    and performance.
- General bug fixes.

Enjoy!
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.1.0 is now available

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Did I miss something? This release caught me by surprise
because I don't remember seeing any discussion about an
impending release on the mailing list lately. For this
release, I wanted to make my proposed XNI change (which
noone commented on) and update the documentation. If I
had some advance warning I could have worked on these
changes.

Regardless, I just submitted a new Freshmeat announce-
ment for Xerces-J 2.1.0.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.1.0 is now available

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
That looks good,

Does this fix the dreaded Schema-validation-
can't-validate-schema-schema ? So that we finally get a complete
open-source schema validator.

Thanks.

Paul