Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com> on 1996/10/14 18:31:39 UTC

Re: Addendum for very heavily loaded BSD servers

Thanks, Marc. I forgot that little detail. 8^( Odds are that we will make
the hard server limit software configurable Real Soon Now.

I'll update the page.

Marc Slemko liltingly intones:

> [Sent to brian@organic.com since he is listed as the contact for additions
> to the web page; also to Chuck because he wrote the thing to begin with]
>
> At http://www.apache.org/docs/perf-bsd44.html there is a document, with
> the latter half written by Chuck, talking about tips for heavily loaded
> BSD servers.  It talks about increasing MaxClients above 150, but doesn't
> mention that this will do _no_ good unless you change the
> HARD_SERVER_LIMIT define in httpd.h since currently apache just uses
> HARD_SERVER_LIMIT instead of MaxClients if MaxClients > HARD_SERVER_LIMIT.
> HARD_SERVER_LIMIT is 150 in the apache distribution.
>
> I've sent a bug report off suggesting that apache should whine if
> MaxClients > HARD_SERVER_LIMIT, but it is probably worth mentioning on the
> web page.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
The new Congressmen say they're going to turn the government around.  I
hope I don't get run over again.