Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com> on 2013/01/30 22:44:20 UTC

64 Bit Tomcat

Hello,

I have an open question about 32 bit vs 64 bit. We are currently
deploying our app with 32 bit JVM and Tomcat. We are running into
memory issues
as we add more functionality (some via tools in the open source
ecosystem). We are testing our complete app with 64 bit JVM and 64 bit
Tomcat and so far we have seen no issues. My question is how prevalent
is the deployment of 64 bit enterprise apps. (just to show my naiveté).
We use some open source tools and look to use more in the future. Is
there things I should be worried about in moving to 64 bit in terms of
open source
tools?

I'll take any and all input.

Thanks very much.
Pat

Re: 64 Bit Tomcat

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
IME, 64 bit operating systems are far more common on the server side
than 32-bit.  Workstations are still a mix.  I use either 32-bit or
64-bit tomcat interchangeably, depending on the memory needs of the
application I'm deploying.  The only thing I have to change when I
switch is the database drivers from 32-bit versions to 64-bit, and I'm
gradually replacing that in various apps with a native java db driver
which needs nothing from windows.

Re: 64 Bit Tomcat

Posted by Edson Richter <ed...@hotmail.com>.
I do use 64bit JRockit VM (JDK 6), and it is awesome!
Tomcat running for months without any trouble, even with redeployments.

In time: I don't work for Oracle :-)

Regards,

Edson

Re: 64 Bit Tomcat

Posted by Dhruva Reddy <bd...@gmail.com>.
I'm running a Grails application on 64-bit Linux, for a public website.  We
don't have a lot of traffic yet, but so far, no memory issues.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Williams, Nick <ni...@ul.com>wrote:

> Our enterprise apps are deployed in a 64-bit environment and we have not
> seen any issues on Tomcat 64-bit with Spring Framework, Spring Security and
> Hibernate. I would wager that, these days, 64-bit is more common than not.
> However, I don't have any research to back up my opinion.
>
> Nick

“Most people would rather die than think. In fact, they do so.” - Bertrand
Russell

RE: 64 Bit Tomcat

Posted by "Williams, Nick" <ni...@ul.com>.

Re: 64 Bit Tomcat

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: 64 Bit Tomcat

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Patrick Flaherty
<pf...@rampageinc.com>wrote:

> I have an open question about 32 bit vs 64 bit. We are currently deploying
> our app with 32 bit JVM and Tomcat. We are running into memory issues
> as we add more functionality (some via tools in the open source
> ecosystem). We are testing our complete app with 64 bit JVM and 64 bit
> Tomcat and so far we have seen no issues. My question is how prevalent is
> the deployment of 64 bit enterprise apps. (just to show my naiveté).
> We use some open source tools and look to use more in the future. Is there
> things I should be worried about in moving to 64 bit in terms of open source
> tools?

I recently became a user of Tomcat 7.0.33+ when I started using TomEE
1.5.1-SNAPSHOT and 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT. I migrated my web app from Glassfish
3.1.2.2, running very stable on Windows 2003 Server 32bit 4GB RAM (32bit
client JVM), to Tomcat 7.0.34 on the same Windows Server 2003 server. My
web app contains many open source libraries (PrimeFaces 3.5-SNAPSHOT,
PrimeFaces Push which is Atmosphere 1.0.6+, and many others enabling silent
printing, generating PDF files in memory, Google Calendar API, etc...).
With 4GB RAM, honestly, the web app really did not have any memory issues.
the user base is not that large (at all).

Within the last 2 weeks, we finally migrated from Windows 2003 Server 32bit
to Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit 32GB RAM. Running Tomcat 7.0.34 (TomEE
1.5.2-SNAPSHOT 2013-01-14 JAR), the web app was running very very stable on
64bit 'server' JVM with no memory issues.

Honestly, it's only been recently, when tomEE 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT added Tomcat
7.0.35 dependency, have I started seeing unstability, server just stopping
and only Windows event log tells me when this happens. This all started
happening (2 days ago), when I migrated to TomEE 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT that has
Tomcat 7.0.35 as a dependency. Honestly, I don't know if there is some
issue between Tomcat 7.0.35 and Atmosphere 1.0.6+ plus, but tomcat/tomee
logs is not telling me anything.

So, i reverted to earlier version of tomEE 1.5.2-SNAPSHOT that has Tomcat
7.0.34 dependency. :)

just sharing my personal experience.

Re: 64 Bit Tomcat My experience

Posted by "N.s.Karthik" <ns...@gmail.com>.
Hi

We have dev a Struts2 /Ajax /Oracle Db application

and been using Tomcat for DEV /IT testing on Win32 for long time,while the
deployment usally happens on 64 bit REd hat

So far other then Perm /Heap space configuration not encountered any
specific problems

with regards
Karthik

Re: 64 Bit Tomcat

Posted by Jose María Zaragoza <de...@gmail.com>.
2013/1/30 Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I have an open question about 32 bit vs 64 bit. We are currently deploying
> our app with 32 bit JVM and Tomcat. We are running into memory issues
> as we add more functionality (some via tools in the open source ecosystem).

Depends on what memory issues are you talking about.
For example , we are using Tomcat 6.0.24 & JVM ( JDK 7) 64-bit , and
I've got problems with PermGen memory space and redeployments (
althought it's a known problem )
But the normal behaviour is right

Regards