Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Sc...@lotus.com on 2001/05/18 20:47:53 UTC

Re: SourceTreeHandler

Hi Paul.

> I'm trying to send unparsedEntityDecl events to my SourceTreeHandler, and
> find that m_root, which should be pointing to the root of the source
tree,
> is apparently null (there is a null pointer exception at line 1180 in
> SourceTreeHandler.java).

Certainly this shouldn't be the case.

> Looking at SourceTreeHandler.java, I noticed the methods startDTD() and
> endDTD(); should I be calling these before and after my dtd events?

For good form, yes, though I don't think we do anything with them.

> If so, this is where I start to feel shaky about the status of stree -
are
> these just going to go away when stree goes away?

Yes.  You should just be talking to a TransformerHandler, and not care that
the implementation is STree or SAX2DTM or the CoRoutineSAXThrasher.

Can you wait a week to continue this work, and try it with the new
implementation?

-scott

                    Paul Winder
                    <pwinder@arbo        To:     xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
                    rtext.com>           cc:     pwinder@arbortext.com, (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)
                                         Subject:     SourceTreeHandler
                    05/18/01
                    02:49 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    xalan-dev

Hi all,

Suddenly I find myself in the guts of SourceTreeHandler, which is in the
stree component, which, according to some posts in recent days which I
thought were irrelevant to me, may be going away in the next release.

I didn't go out of my way to get into stree; I just created a
TransformerHandler, and that apparently got me there.
I am building Xalan's source document using SAX events.

I'm trying to send unparsedEntityDecl events to my SourceTreeHandler, and I

find that m_root, which should be pointing to the root of the source tree,
is apparently null (there is a null pointer exception at line 1180 in
SourceTreeHandler.java).

I am sending out the events after the startDocument event and before the
first startElement event (or any other SAX events) as required.

Looking at SourceTreeHandler.java, I noticed the methods startDTD() and
endDTD(); should I be calling these before and after my dtd events?

If so, this is where I start to feel shaky about the status of stree - are
these just going to go away when stree goes away?

If not, any other ideas about why I'm getting this failure?

Paul Winder
Arbortext

Re: SourceTreeHandler

Posted by Paul Winder <pw...@arbortext.com>.
At 02:47 PM 5/18/01 -0400, Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:

>Hi Paul.
>
> > I'm trying to send unparsedEntityDecl events to my SourceTreeHandler, and
> > find that m_root, which should be pointing to the root of the source
>tree,
> > is apparently null (there is a null pointer exception at line 1180 in
> > SourceTreeHandler.java).
>
>Certainly this shouldn't be the case.
>
> > Looking at SourceTreeHandler.java, I noticed the methods startDTD() and
> > endDTD(); should I be calling these before and after my dtd events?
>
>For good form, yes, though I don't think we do anything with them.

It didn't look like you were, but you never know.

> > If so, this is where I start to feel shaky about the status of stree -
>are
> > these just going to go away when stree goes away?
>
>Yes.  You should just be talking to a TransformerHandler, and not care that
>the implementation is STree or SAX2DTM or the CoRoutineSAXThrasher.
>
>Can you wait a week to continue this work, and try it with the new
>implementation?

Happily...