Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Glenn Everitt <gl...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/14 15:12:49 UTC

ApacheDS OSGi configuration

I'm trying to get ApacheDS running under equinox but having some
configuration problems.  (Not sure this should be dev list or user list so
my apologies.)

I've downloaded and build apacheds\all and apacheds\osgi  and I think they
build correctly
all\target contains  apacheds-all-1.5.5-SNAPSHOT.jar    size 8KB and
apacheds-all-1.5.5-SNAPSHOT-app.jar  size 6,938KB
osgi\target contains apacheds-osgi-1.5.5-SNAPSHOT.jar  size 3,685KB

I'm trying to configure to run in equinox rather than felix ( long story).
So, I used eclipse to create a project from the jar
apacheds-all-1.5.5-SNAPSHOT.jar   and I did the same for
apacheds-osgi-1.5.5-SNAPSHOT.jar  and then after pulling in a bunch of
apache commons jars into a "library" bundle everything seems to have
resolved.  Next I added to a debug configuration in eclipse I have equinox
starting up and I have the bundles "org.apache.directory.all" and
"org.apache.directory.server" both in Active state.

However the "org.apache.directory.server" (osgi bundle) should be
registering services.  I noticed the server.xml in the examples folder which
looks like a spring configuration file and the default settings seemed
reasonable.  So, I added a spring folder in the META-INF folder and copied
the server.xml into it.  I restarted equinox and using the equinox osgi
console "bundle" command I was hoping to see that the services defined in
the servers.xml would have been started.  Unfortunately, they were not
started and I found the activator pointing to
org.eclipse.equinox.http.jetty.internal.Activator - it doesn't look like it
does anything to register the services so it must be up to the spring
configuration in servers.xml.  I'm not sure why this isn't working.  Also, I
am not sure what core file is located here generated by Apache XBean:
\all_trunk\apacheds\osgi\src\main\resources\META-INF\services\org\apache\xbean\spring\http\
apacheds.org\config\core

It looks like it binds interceptor names to implementation classes.  If you
have any information about how to configure these bundles I would appreciate
it.

Thanks (ApacheDS is great software - I've using it "outside" of equinox and
am impressed with the feature set and stability.)
Glenn Everitt

Re: ApacheDS OSGi configuration

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jesse!  Long time no see...

We're actually using version 2.0 of the maven bundle plugin already
(wouldn't have it any other way).  What we have now is all of the ApacheDS
classes rolled up into a single monolithic bundle because there are
currently too many split packages to work around.  I think we are fixing
that soon so that you could replace or mix and match parts of the server as
needed (partition types, protocols, etc).  The current bundle is totally
suitable for embedding, but there are a lot of external bundle dependencies
which are a bitch to get straight.  I have an excellent setup right now that
uses the ServiceMix 4 kernel project (soon to be Karaf, under Felix) and the
"Features" funtionality to manage getting all the right bundles.  I am sure
we'll be looking at Tycho and P2 when we get things structured a little
better.

As always it would be great to have additional input so feel free to jump
in...

Chris

--
Chris Custine