Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by maux <ma...@wanadoo.es> on 2008/06/04 16:20:12 UTC

Something like a filter

Hi,

I would like to know if there is something that I can configure to an
application  that force the application to execute that thing before it
executes. I mean I need something that does more or less the same that a
filter but without using the class filter.

I need to configure some applications to throw an applet before the
application executes. And depends in one of the return applet parameter,
allow or deny the access to the application.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Something like a filter

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
> I would like to know if there is something that I can configure to an
> application  that force the application to execute that thing before it
> executes. I mean I need something that does more or less the same that a
> filter but without using the class filter.
>
> I need to configure some applications to throw an applet before the
> application executes. And depends in one of the return applet parameter,
> allow or deny the access to the application.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Its not your servlet, is that right?
I'm just going to guess what you asking

Applet ----------- (Guard Servlet --- Forward the Request) ------ (Original
Servlet)

So in your guard servlet... you can reply to the applet or let it through to
the Original servlet.
If it is your servlet, then its just logic in your servlet... check the
params, do something, or not do it.

Then you'll have to assemble a new webapp and bring in the original servlet
as a lib, make a new web xml file and perform other tricks that pirates do
;)
Or try dispatch across webapps... but there are other problems if you try
that.... its better if its all in one new webapp.

Something like that I think.

Maux... its very hard to understand you... its ok, my spanish sucks as well
;)

The only real POJO Application Server.

Re: Something like a filter

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Johnny Kewl wrote:
> On 6/11/08, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>> maux wrote:
[...]
Let's see if I got this right, and if I can show off a bit.

Maux,
faltan unos datos a esa gente para contestar, pero lo estan intentando
de toda forma.
1) Imaginan que el applet no es tuyo y no puedes modificarlo.
2) Imaginan que la aplicación (el servlet) tampoco es tuya y no puedes
modificarla.
3) Y imaginan que lo que quieres es : cuando el applet llama la
aplicación, verificar los parametros que envia el applet, y según esos
parametros, permitir o no que la llamada pase a la aplicacion.  Y si no
pasa, contestar otra cosa al applet, por ejemplo un mensaje de error.
Justo ?
Si 1-2-3 son corectos, lo puedes hacer todo con un "servlet filter", que
seria la solución mas simple y elegante.
Un servlet filter puede elegir de contestar directamente al applet, o de
pasar la llamada a la aplicación y dejar que esa conteste.
Si tienes alguna razon de no hacerlo con un "servlet filter", esa
información les falta tambien.
El (1) y (2) arriba son importantes, porque si uno de esos no es
correcto, seria ahún mas fácil de modificar o el applet o la aplicación
para evitar/rechazar los parametros incorectos, evitando el filtro.

Translation for the language-depleted :
Maux,
some data is missing to give you a helpful answer, but these guys are
trying nevertheless, based on the following guesses :
1) you do not control the applet
2) you do not control the application
3) what you want is to check what the applet is sending, and depending
on that allow or not the application to be called.
If 1,2,3 are correct, then you can do it all via a "servlet filter".
If you have a reason for which you do not want a servlet filter, then
communicate that reason because they do not understand.
And (1) and (2) are important, because if they are not true, then it
would be easier still to modify either the applet or the application,
and avoid the filter.

So, how am I doing ?
All that based on the last 2 letters of the requester's domain..
Now if he is Chinese and just works there, I give up.

Re: Something like a filter

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Posted by Karthik Abram <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Something like a filter

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Something like a filter

Posted by maux <ma...@wanadoo.es>.
I need to execute it before an application executes.

I know filters are the way but I need to communicate with an applet and I
think filters and applets can´t have a two-way communication.

Thanks.

Re: Something like a filter

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.