Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by je...@bull.net on 2007/03/27 08:59:03 UTC

A second administration port

Tomcat : 5.5.20
Java  : BEA JRockit 1.5.0_08

Hello,

I have configured a second address administration (9000): I have defined
within the server.xml a second service as:
<Connector port="9000" ...>, with an entry "Host" on which i've defined an
AppBase attribute different from <webapps>. All work fine.
Now I would like to administrate my web applications from the new port:
deploy, undeploy, start or stop
How can I do this ?

Thanks

Best Regards

Jean-Louis Matéo

Re: A second administration port

Posted by or...@kewlstuff.co.za.
Actually I'm wrong, its the Admin option that I think must be installed, so
it should work anyway.

I have configured a second address administration (9000): I have defined
within the server.xml a second service as:
<Connector port="9000" ...>, with an entry "Host" on which i've defined an
AppBase attribute different from <webapps>. All work fine.
Now I would like to administrate my web applications from the new port:
deploy, undeploy, start or stop
How can I do this ?

Thanks

Best Regards

Jean-Louis Matéo

Re: A second administration port

Posted by or...@kewlstuff.co.za.
Hi jean....
Should work...

You made something like this...
<Connector port="8888" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="150"
minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75" enableLookups="false"
redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100" connectionTimeout="20000"
disableUploadTimeout="true" />

And

<Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps_new"

unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

http://localhost:8888/

will work just the same??? I'm probably missing what you asking

Remember the manager thing is not standard, so maybe you havnt installed it
in the new setup.... maybe?

I have configured a second address administration (9000): I have defined
within the server.xml a second service as:
<Connector port="9000" ...>, with an entry "Host" on which i've defined an
AppBase attribute different from <webapps>. All work fine.
Now I would like to administrate my web applications from the new port:
deploy, undeploy, start or stop
How can I do this ?

Thanks

Best Regards

Jean-Louis Matéo

Re: A second administration port

Posted by or...@kewlstuff.co.za.
Here you go found some docs.... can check all settings 4 ure self
========

2. Configuring the Manager Web Application

The Manager web application lets you perform simple management tasks on your
web applications through a more simplified web user interface than that of
the Admin web app.

The Manager web application is defined in the auto-deployment file
CATALINA_BASE/webapps/manager.xml.

You must edit this file to ensure that the path specified in the docBase
attribute of the Context element is absolute; that is, the absolute path of
CATALINA_HOME/server/webapps/manager.

If you're using the default UserDatabaseRealm, you'll need to add a user and
role to the CATALINA_BASE/conf/tomcat-users.xml file. For now, just edit
this file, and add a role named "manager" to your users database:
<role name="manager"/>

You must also have a user who is assigned the "manager" role. Add a user
line like this after the existing user entries (changing the password to
something a bit more secure):
<user name="manager" password="deep_dark_secret" roles="manager"/>

Then restart Tomcat and visit the URL http://localhost/manager/list to see
the plain-text manager interface, or http://localhost/manager/html/list for
the simple HTML manager interface. Either way, your Manager application
should now be working.

The Manager application lets you install new web applications on a
non-persistent basis, for testing. If we have a web application in
/home/user/hello and want to test it by installing it under the URI /hello,
we put "/hello" in the first text input field (for Path) and
"file:/home/user/hello" in the second text input field (for Config URL).

The Manager also allows you to stop, reload, remove, or undeploy a web
application. Stopping an application makes it unavailable until further
notice, but of course it can then be restarted. Users attempting to access a
stopped application will receive an error message, such as 503 - This
application is not currently available.

Removing a web application removes it only from the running copy of
Tomcat -- if it was started from the configuration files, it will reappear
the next time you restart Tomcat (i.e., removal does not remove the web
application's content from disk).