Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2002/07/18 19:18:44 UTC

Okay, two questions for Bill Rowe

Bill,

   - What's the status of the new apr-iconv library?
   - What's status on the move of apr_xlate* to apr-util?

I'm asking for the Subversion Alpha release -- we'll need to know if
we can base the release on HEAD of apr and friends, or if we should
use last Monday's APR and ship the GNU iconv library with our Win32
distributions.

We'd also been thinking of making an interim release today.  It looks
like for that we'd *have* to go with the last-Monday-etc solution
above, right?

Thanks,
-Karl

Re: Okay, two questions for Bill Rowe

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> Please tell me that apu-iconv.m4 would reside in apr-util.

Yes, the patch puts it in apr-util/build, next to apu-conf.m4.

>   A user that
> doesn't want to download apr-iconv shouldn't run into any problems
> if they build apr and apr-util.

apu-iconv.m4 doesn't even attempt to look for apr-iconv yet, just tries
to find out if iconv is available on the system. It does the same things
as were done in APR before.

Later on, we can enhance it to look for apr-iconv sources,
--with-apr-iconv, --with-iconv, etc.

Re: Okay, two questions for Bill Rowe

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 04:23 PM 7/18/2002, =?UTF-8?B?QnJhbmtvIMSMaWJlag==?= wrote:
>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>
>>>    - What's status on the move of apr_xlate* to apr-util?
>>
>>Finished, with the exception of the APR_CHECK_ICONV_INBUF
>>m4 macro that tests for the iconv prototype differences, and one
>>more hack to use our apr_* namespace protected entry points
>>from xlate.c if APR_HAS_APR_ICONV is toggled.  We also need
>>that symbol set up in apu or apu_private.
>>
>>The first macro sticks the #define APR_ICONV_INBUF_CONST 1
>>into apr_private.h which we don't see inside of apu_private.h, so
>>we can't pick it up inside of apr-util/xlate/xlate.c.
>>
>>If someone who groks m4 much better than I would get this inserted
>>into apu_private.h from apu_private.h.in ... we would be done with the
>>new unix / using installed xlate problems.
>
>Can you try the attached patch? It moves libiconv detection from APR to
>APR-util, and tweaks things so that APR_ICONV_INBUF_CONST appears in
>apu_config.h. I left the APR_CHECK_ICONV_INBUF macro in apr_common.m4, but
>that could be moved to the new apu-iconv.m4 (and renamed to
>APU_CHJECK_ICONV_INBUF) later.

I can't easily test right now.  Try in on the OS-X box later, but if someone
beats me to it, and commits this before I can, great!

Please tell me that apu-iconv.m4 would reside in apr-util.  A user that
doesn't want to download apr-iconv shouldn't run into any problems
if they build apr and apr-util.

>I don't know what to do about apr_hints.m4, which sets teh value of
>APR_ICONV_INBUF_CONST on AIX and Solaris. I don't want to include it in
>APR-util's configure.

Yea, I hear you.  No ideas from me.

>I don't have a Unix machine handy, unfortunately, so I can't test this
>right now.

Same problem here, hoping someone is willing to pitch in.

Re: Okay, two questions for Bill Rowe

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 12:18 PM 7/18/2002, Karl Fogel wrote:
>Bill,
>
>    - What's the status of the new apr-iconv library?

The new apr-iconv library needs to be taught to consume apr.  I'll
do the Win32 work if someone will tackle the build side of Unix.

Note the end app [SVN] shouldn't be aware of it.  We need one
more macro, something like APR_HAS_APR_ICONV inside of
the apu_private or apu header.

>    - What's status on the move of apr_xlate* to apr-util?

Finished, with the exception of the APR_CHECK_ICONV_INBUF
m4 macro that tests for the iconv prototype differences, and one
more hack to use our apr_* namespace protected entry points
from xlate.c if APR_HAS_APR_ICONV is toggled.  We also need
that symbol set up in apu or apu_private.

The first macro sticks the #define APR_ICONV_INBUF_CONST 1
into apr_private.h which we don't see inside of apu_private.h, so
we can't pick it up inside of apr-util/xlate/xlate.c.

If someone who groks m4 much better than I would get this inserted
into apu_private.h from apu_private.h.in ... we would be done with the
new unix / using installed xlate problems.

>I'm asking for the Subversion Alpha release -- we'll need to know if
>we can base the release on HEAD of apr and friends, or if we should
>use last Monday's APR and ship the GNU iconv library with our Win32
>distributions.

You all know the ASF position on shipping GNU code, just be aware that
will be a fork from any Apache releases.  I'm trying to get into a position
where -we- build mod_charset_lite on Win32 and are in a position to ship
that example module.

>We'd also been thinking of making an interim release today.  It looks
>like for that we'd *have* to go with the last-Monday-etc solution
>above, right?

Unless our unix problem with APR_CHECK_ICONV_INBUF is fixed, yes.
If that gets fixed, you should be good for cvs HEAD on APR.

Bill

Re: Okay, two questions for Bill Rowe

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.