Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> on 2005/12/28 21:48:01 UTC

The line between full incubation and IP clearance

Is there a well-defined line between these two mechanisms for bringing new
code to the ASF? Not having seen the code yet, I can't say for sure, but I
would expect the Oracle ADF Faces donation to be substantial, and include
a framework that ties everything together. I would have thought that would
have warranted full incubation, but it appears to be going through only
the UP Clearance procedure. See:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/myfaces-dev/200512.mbox/%3c8b3ce3790512281044k7aa44090o8a35863f71717399@mail.gmail.com%3e

I'm new in Incubator-land, so I'm not altogether savvy about processes and
procedures, but wanted to ask about this one.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: The line between full incubation and IP clearance

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
If we are moving from the general case to the specific, then, yes, it
may be that the MyFaces PMC will decide the existing community cannot
work with the code on their own.

The MyFaces PMC might then choose to bring a proposal to the Incubator
PMC to create a podling, and see if the Incubator PMC is willing to
incubate the ADF community along with the codebase, and then later
decide if ADF should be a MyFaces subproject or a TLP (or retired).

Once the code is exposed, it's even possible that the MyFaces
community will pass on the donation, and nothing will come of this at
all.

As I've said on MyFaces dev@, these types of ADF dicussions are
premature, because no one has put the code on the table yet.

-Ted.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 12/28/05, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Although that might be technically true, we do things collectively in the
> ASF.  Mind you, we've not had a process for voting on IP Clearance type
> submissions, so that's been a potential loophole.

I'm not sure what a vote would accomplish. Are we saying that we don't
trust PMCs to do due diligence as to the action items on the
checklist? That would be a strange perspective since the key role of
every TLP PMC is to oversee the IP of each and every commit made to
the project's repository.

An attractive aspect of the IP Clearance protocol is that it *closes*
the podling loophole that might bring committers into the Foundation
outside of the meritocratic process. One thing that the votes on the
proposal and podling graduation do is sanction the list of podling
committers, who usually go on to become PMC members. In that case, we
do need the Incubator PMC to vote on the new committers, and since the
podling is an unproven community, we do need someone to decide if the
community meets our standard of meritocracy.

If code is developed outside of an ASF repository and mailing list,
then it is appropriate that we provide a pedigree for the code. It is
also appropriate that we have a central record of all such code that a
PMC is bringing int our repository. It is also appropriate that we
maintain that record at the Incubator, so that all external code
arrives in one place. But, I would suggest that the people best suited
to vote on the code itself are the people who are already making the
technical decisions about such code: The receiving PMC.

In the case of an IP Clearance, there is not a new community to
consider. What is before the Incubator PMC is the issue of whether the

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Noel,

I agree, as we need a better polic/process for IP Clearance, it can't
be left to one person. I already insisted on full incubation for the
specific issue. Though mind you, i'd love to have some guidelines i
can check off of to back up why i think a full incubation is prudent.
In this specific case, i think we need a closer look at what's
happening given the circumstances and the spectre of a large code base
helps reinforce that thought.

thanks,
dims

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Dims,

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Martin,
it's been a line in the sand AFAIK, i guess it's Noel's call. I don't
remember voting on some of the things on the site
(http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/ip-clearance/)

<incubator_pmc_member hat="on">
I think we should insist on a full incubation for
Cherokee/Tomahawk/ADF (whatever it's name is today)
</incubator_pmc_member>

thanks,
dims

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/28/05, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:

> Martin,
>
> > Is there a well-defined line between these two mechanisms for bringing
> new
> > code to the ASF?
>
> No, not a well-defined one.  The IP Clearance is primarily intended for
> use
> with a relatively simple Software Grant situation into an existing
> project,
> such as libtool, which we can contrast with mod_cli or mod_ftp.  And,
> honestly, I think that we have made a few mistakes in the past by using
> the
> simpler form when a fuller incubation would have yielded a better result
> in
> terms of community building around new code.
>
> > I would expect the Oracle ADF Faces donation to be substantial,
> > and include a framework that ties everything together. I would
> > have thought that would have warranted full incubation
>
> Is there community, or just code?  If a community comes with it, too, I
> would certainly expect incubation, however, the e-mail you referenced says
> (in part): "[after clearance,] the MyFaces committers treat the code as if
> we wrote it ourselves", and I don't see any mention of a community coming,
> too.  But here is a sample grey area: one or two committers absorbed into
> healthy community might be deemed acceptable, whereas a substantial number
> of new ones might not.  So if you buy that argument, where do we draw the
> line, and how do we address potential abuse?

I suppose I'm asking prematurely, since, of course, I haven't seen a
proposal either. ;-) However, up until now, ADF Faces has been part of (or
an add-on to - I'm not sure) a commercial Oracle product (JDeveloper). There
may be OTN forums that it's discussed on; not sure if that counts as a
community. Also, since it's no longer all of ADF Faces that's going to be
offered to the ASF, I don't know how that would affect any existing
community.

I expect that some Oracle developers will be listed in the forthcoming
proposal, and they will most likely be needed, too. How many, I have no
idea. How much cross-pollination between the ADF Faces code base and the
existing MyFaces code is also an open question in my mind. At least
initially, I would expect that the ADF Faces code base will be set up as a
separate build and download from the existing MyFaces code, until the
collective team decides how to integrate the two, or even if integrating
them makes sense, versus treating ADF Faces as a separate sub-project.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
On 12/28/05, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Is there community, or just code?  If a community comes with it, too, I
> would certainly expect incubation,

+1

I would say that the line is whether the existing community is ready,
willing, and able to work with the code without adding untested
volunteers.

My suggestion that we use IP Clearance for the ADF donation is
predicated on the existing community being up to the challenge of
working with the code, and adding any new committers in the usual way.

-Ted.

RE: The line between full incubation and IP clearance

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Martin,

> Is there a well-defined line between these two mechanisms for bringing new
> code to the ASF?

No, not a well-defined one.  The IP Clearance is primarily intended for use
with a relatively simple Software Grant situation into an existing project,
such as libtool, which we can contrast with mod_cli or mod_ftp.  And,
honestly, I think that we have made a few mistakes in the past by using the
simpler form when a fuller incubation would have yielded a better result in
terms of community building around new code.

> I would expect the Oracle ADF Faces donation to be substantial,
> and include a framework that ties everything together. I would
> have thought that would have warranted full incubation

Is there community, or just code?  If a community comes with it, too, I
would certainly expect incubation, however, the e-mail you referenced says
(in part): "[after clearance,] the MyFaces committers treat the code as if
we wrote it ourselves", and I don't see any mention of a community coming,
too.  But here is a sample grey area: one or two committers absorbed into a