Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Yo...@gd-ais.com on 2003/10/31 01:23:56 UTC

Seriously Customizing the Project Website

I was wondering if anybody has attempted to make any significant cosmetic
modifications to the website that is generated by "site:generate"?  I'd like
to do things like change the fonts and how the collapsible menus look.  I'm
even thinking about adding rich content like flash interfaces and applets.
And I want to be able to move things around as far as the layout goes.

I'm familiar with the list of xdoc properties but it's apparent that those
properties are more geared toward simplification rather than customization.
I can modify the plugin itself but as soon as I download a SNAPSHOT.jar all
my customizations go away.

So what I'm thinking of is sort of like what "genapp" does.  First, it looks
in ~/.maven/template for a customized template, and if not found, then
defaults to the one in the jar.  Is there a directory that "site:generate"
looks in for CSS and XSL before going with the defaults?

Yoway Buorn
Software Engineer
Imagery Systems Engineering

GENERAL DYNAMICS
Advanced Information Systems

"Make me a fire and I'm warm for a night.  Set me on fire and I'm warm for
the rest of my life." -- Ancient Didactical Saying

Re: Seriously Customizing the Project Website

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
You can take control of a lot of things by declaring a custom site.jsl.

E.g:

  maven.xdoc.jsl = myAlternativeSite.jsl

The Avalon site used a custom JSL - not much is custom but its custom
all the same.

  http://avalon.apache.org/

Cheers, Steve.

Yoway.Buorn@gd-ais.com wrote:

>I was wondering if anybody has attempted to make any significant cosmetic
>modifications to the website that is generated by "site:generate"?  I'd like
>to do things like change the fonts and how the collapsible menus look.  I'm
>even thinking about adding rich content like flash interfaces and applets.
>And I want to be able to move things around as far as the layout goes.
>
>I'm familiar with the list of xdoc properties but it's apparent that those
>properties are more geared toward simplification rather than customization.
>I can modify the plugin itself but as soon as I download a SNAPSHOT.jar all
>my customizations go away.
>
>So what I'm thinking of is sort of like what "genapp" does.  First, it looks
>in ~/.maven/template for a customized template, and if not found, then
>defaults to the one in the jar.  Is there a directory that "site:generate"
>looks in for CSS and XSL before going with the defaults?
>
>Yoway Buorn
>Software Engineer
>Imagery Systems Engineering
>
>GENERAL DYNAMICS
>Advanced Information Systems
>
>"Make me a fire and I'm warm for a night.  Set me on fire and I'm warm for
>the rest of my life." -- Ancient Didactical Saying

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: Seriously Customizing the Project Website

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.
from http://maven.apache.org/reference/user-guide.html -

To override the Maven-supplied stylesheet, copy your own and override
the maven.css stylesheet in your ${basedir}/xdocs/stylesheets/
directory. You can also specify your own javadoc stylesheet by setting
the maven.javadoc.stylesheet property

----------------

Also, to answer your question directly, I've never tried such a thing.
But, I have some input on your idea.

I thought about making some heavy modifications to the Maven site
before, but decided against it.  I instead created a site the way that I
wanted it and then provided links to the Maven sites for my projects.  I
figured it was easiest to just let Maven be Maven, and structure my site
the way that I wanted it.

Do you really need links to JavaDoc, Unit tests results, and File
activity reports on the same page with Flash movies and Applets?  Maven
seems to be for project-level documentation, and adding rich content may
be mixing things that don't belong together.

Obviously, it's just my opinion - but this worked out pretty well for me.