Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es> on 2007/05/10 18:21:50 UTC

[Proposal] Migrate bugzilla to jira

Hi all,

I proposed years ago to move our bugzilla to jira (like used by cocoon
as well), but since then much time has past, so I try it again.

I find bugzilla very user unfriendly and jira is much better in
usability, filter, ...

wdyt?

salu2

Re: [Proposal] Migrate bugzilla to jira

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I proposed years ago to move our bugzilla to jira (like used by cocoon
> as well), but since then much time has past, so I try it again.
>
> I find bugzilla very user unfriendly and jira is much better in
> usability, filter, ...

i used to be against it, but sure, why not.

+1

Re: [Proposal] Migrate bugzilla to jira

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I proposed years ago to move our bugzilla to jira (like used by cocoon
> as well), but since then much time has past, so I try it again.
>
> I find bugzilla very user unfriendly and jira is much better in
> usability, filter, ...
>
> wdyt?

+-0

I'm not missing anything with Bugzilla, but I guess I could
also get used to Jira.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: [Proposal] Migrate bugzilla to jira

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>  i won't be able to profit
>> from jira skills as much as i would from bugzilla skills (since most of
>> my clients would not want to fork out funds for an issues tracker...)

if i had clients, i would set them up with trac.

Re: [Proposal] Migrate bugzilla to jira

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 07:41 +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Bob Harner wrote:

> >> +1 to move to jira.
> >>
> >> Best Regards,
> >>
> >> Antonio Gallardo.
> >
> > I would suggest postponing any action on this until 1.4 is released.

Hmm, jira can help getting a quick overview about outstanding issues.
e.g.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:roadmap-panel
IMO we would benefit from a move ASAP (even before 1.4 is released)
since the migration will take one or two mails to infrastructure which I
would gladly write.

> +1
>
> i'm not a huge fan of bugzilla, but i think it does the job ok.
> which means i'm not motivated to invest any work in a migration.

You do not have to. I would contact infrastructure and they would do the
migration. As I remember it is running a script and two things more. No
work involved for the project.

> from
> what i've seen with cocoon, jira is obviously better, but since it
> appears to be closed source and rather costly,

AFAIK a license cost around $1000 (at least that is what a friend told
me that was using it as base for a ticketing service app).

>  i won't be able to profit
> from jira skills as much as i would from bugzilla skills (since most of
> my clients would not want to fork out funds for an issues tracker...)

I doubt that someone needs extra skills for jira. It is very intuitive
and self explaining. It comes with a lot preconfigured reports and
filters. Further one big advantage is the "Subversion Commits" panel.

As soon you use the issue id in your commit it links with the issue.
Further the subtask feature is awesome as well. e.g.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-588

Posted by Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de>.
Bob Harner wrote:
> On 5/10/07, Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net> wrote:
>> Thorsten Scherler escribió:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I proposed years ago to move our bugzilla to jira (like used by cocoon
>> > as well), but since then much time has past, so I try it again.
>> >
>> > I find bugzilla very user unfriendly and jira is much better in
>> > usability, filter, ...
>> >
>> +1 to move to jira.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Antonio Gallardo.
>
> I would suggest postponing any action on this until 1.4 is released.

+1

i'm not a huge fan of bugzilla, but i think it does the job ok.
which means i'm not motivated to invest any work in a migration. from
what i've seen with cocoon, jira is obviously better, but since it
appears to be closed source and rather costly, i won't be able to profit
from jira skills as much as i would from bugzilla skills (since most of
my clients would not want to fork out funds for an issues tracker...)

--
jörn nettingsmeier

home://germany/45128 essen/lortzingstr. 11/
http://spunk.dnsalias.org
phone://+49/201/491621

Kurt is up in Heaven now.

Re: [Proposal] Migrate bugzilla to jira

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Thorsten Scherler escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> I proposed years ago to move our bugzilla to jira (like used by cocoon
> as well), but since then much time has past, so I try it again.
>
> I find bugzilla very user unfriendly and jira is much better in
> usability, filter, ...

+1 to move to jira.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: [Proposal] Migrate bugzilla to jira

Posted by "Gav..." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
<quote who="Bob Harner">
> On 5/15/07, Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:
>> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>> cocoon

>> > Hi devs,
>> >
>> > Bob and Jörn aired concerns to move to jira and I tried to address
>> them.
>> > Is it alright with you both and can I go ahead and write to
>> > infrastructure to ask for the migration?
>>
>> -0
>>
>> for me, bugzilla is ok, and i prefer open source software over closed
>> (even if it comes with an open-source-friendly license).
>>
>> but if you see any advantages, please go ahead. i'm sure it won't hurt
>> to use the same bug tracker as cocoon. plus i've already used it and it
>> was quite intuitive.
>> my previous remarks about me not being interested in developing jira
>> skills was about doing a migration and setting it up - but you already
>> clarified that infrastructure is going to do that for us.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> jörn
>>

> +.5

+1 (nb)

Bugzilla is a real pain and IMHO is probably stopping potential
contributions due to its unfriendly UI.

--
Gav...

Re: [Proposal] Migrate bugzilla to jira

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 5/15/07, Joern Nettingsmeier <ne...@folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 18:21 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I proposed years ago to move our bugzilla to jira (like used by cocoon
> >> as well), but since then much time has past, so I try it again.
> >>
> >> I find bugzilla very user unfriendly and jira is much better in
> >> usability, filter, ...
> >>

> > Hi devs,
> >
> > Bob and Jörn aired concerns to move to jira and I tried to address them.
> > Is it alright with you both and can I go ahead and write to
> > infrastructure to ask for the migration?
>
> -0
>
> for me, bugzilla is ok, and i prefer open source software over closed
> (even if it comes with an open-source-friendly license).
>
> but if you see any advantages, please go ahead. i'm sure it won't hurt
> to use the same bug tracker as cocoon. plus i've already used it and it
> was quite intuitive.
> my previous remarks about me not being interested in developing jira
> skills was about doing a migration and setting it up - but you already
> clarified that infrastructure is going to do that for us.
>
> regards,
>
> jörn

+.5

Re: [Proposal] Migrate bugzilla to jira