Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Alexander Buloichik <Al...@epam.com> on 2005/10/26 16:10:30 UTC

Jetspeed 2 ? Newbie questions.

Hello, All !

I'm newbie in portal development, but have some experience in java development.

  So, I want to create portal with several portlets. This portal doesn't require many features, but require JSR-168 compatible engine.
  As far as I understand, pluto is only portlets' container. Seems pluto can't parse HttpServletRequest, and event can't read portlet.xml. Portal should do it. Am I right ? If I don't want to parse HttpServletRequest, initialize portlet container "by-hand", then I need to use one of standard portal implementation. Jetspeed, for example. Am I right ?

  I saw on http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/, but I can't see any releases, and even didn't see any road map. But I see line "Last published: 23 September 2005 | Doc for 2.0-M4-SNAPSHOT" on the top of page. Is jetspeed-2 usable now ? I don't need to have production working, documentation and support, but I want to have workable product.
  Where can I get milestone 4 ?

  I also saw on the http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/, but this site have many broken links. I even can't get latest version of jetspeed - 1.6.

WBR, Alex.

Re: Jetspeed 2 ? Newbie questions.

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@yahoo.ca>.
Alexander Buloichik <Alexander_Buloichik <at> epam.com> writes:

> Hello, All !
>
> I'm newbie in portal development, but have some experience in java development.
>
>   So, I want to create portal with several portlets. This portal doesn't
require many features, but require
> JSR-168 compatible engine.
>   As far as I understand, pluto is only portlets' container. Seems pluto can't
parse HttpServletRequest,
> and event can't read portlet.xml. Portal should do it. Am I right ? If I don't
want to parse
> HttpServletRequest, initialize portlet container "by-hand", then I need to use
one of standard portal
> implementation. Jetspeed, for example. Am I right ?
>
>   I saw on http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/, but I can't see any
releases, and even didn't see any
> road map. But I see line "Last published: 23 September 2005 | Doc for
2.0-M4-SNAPSHOT" on the top of page. Is
> jetspeed-2 usable now ? I don't need to have production working, documentation
and support, but I want to
> have workable product.
>   Where can I get milestone 4 ?
>
>   I also saw on the http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-1/, but this site have
many broken links. I even
> can't get latest version of jetspeed - 1.6.
>
> WBR, Alex.

I don't think I understand your first few questions, I'm not sure what you
mean by "parse HttpServletRequest". HttpServletRequest is an interface
in the servlet spec.  Implementations of that (by a servlet container)
provide a high-level API for getting at the underlying HTTP request
parameters, etc.  There is no "parsing" per se.

A portlet container sits on top of a servlet container and is one level of
abstraction higher. You give up direct control of the HTTP response and get
away from accessing the HttpServletRequest.

Jetspeed 2 does work but there is no official release yet.  Go to:
http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/getting-started.html

Follow the instructions to install using the maven plugin, it is pretty
straight-forward. If you run into trouble, I suggest you search this mail
archive.

cheers,
aaron